Correcting Your Military Record

Honorable Discharge Certificate With Dogtags
Honorable Discharge Certificate With Dogtags

Help After You're Out: Correcting Your Military Record

Each branch of military has its own procedures for correcting the military records of its members and former members. Correction of a military record may result in eligibility for VA and other benefits -- such as back pay and military retirement -- that the veteran (or survivors) could not otherwise get. Generally, a request for correction must be filed within three years after the discovery of the alleged error or injustice. 

Introducing's new Transition app. Our new app gives you a personalized transition plan, tells you what to expect while transitioning, and even helps you find a job. The app is customizable for all Active Duty, National Guard, Reservists, and spouses. Download it today from Google Play or iTunes.

If you believe there is an error in your military record, apply in writing to the appropriate Service using a DD Form 149, Application for Correction of Military or Naval Record. The form can be submitted by the veteran, survivor, or a legal representative. 

Get a copy from any VA office listed in the local telephone directory or download the form from the National Archives website.

Show Full Article

Related Topics

Military Transition