Military members on the U.S. Olympic shooting team missed the mark in Rio, finishing behind Russia and China in rifle and pistol matches.
The five soldiers and one Marine competed Aug. 8-14 in 50-meter rifle, 10-meter air rifle, 25-meter pistol, and double trap shotgun events in the 2016 Rio Olympic Games.
Here’s a look at the final standings:
- Army Sgt. 1st Class Michael McPhail finished 19th and Marine Corps 2nd Lt. David Higgins finished 40th in the Mens' 50-meter rifle prone on Aug. 12. Germany took gold, South Korea took silver and Russia took bronze.
- Army Spc. Daniel Lowe finished 28th in the Men's 50-meter rifle 3 positions event on Aug. 14. Italy took gold, Russia took silver and France took bronze.
- Lowe also finished 34th in the Men's 10-meter Air Rifle event on Aug 8. Italy took gold, Ukraine took silver and Russia took bronze.
- Army Sgt. 1st Class Keith Sanderson finished 10th in the Men's 25-meter rapid fire pistol event on Aug. 12. Germany took gold, France took silver and China took bronze.
- Army Sgt. 1st Class Josh Richmond finished seventh and Army Sgt. 1st Class Glenn Eller finished 14 in the Double Trap event on Aug. 10. Independent Olympic Athletes took gold, Italy took silver and Great Britain took bronze.
--James Barber contributed to this report.