Throughout the month, military families are honored and recognized for their commitment and contributions in support of our military and nation.
Armor: Level III Kevlar; Level IV SAPI
Manufacturer: Protective Products International
Service: USMC, USN
The Marine Corps believes in providing Marines with the most advanced personal body armor. The Improved Modular Tactical Vest delivers not only better protection, but also enhanced maneuverability. The new protective equipment provides increased comfort, a more efficient combat load weight distribution, greater ease of weapons handling and reduced weight. The standard IMTV offers protection against shrapnel and 9mm pistol rounds. Marines are always issued Enhanced Small Arms Protective Inserts, commonly called "SAPI Plates," which fit inside the IMTV and provide protection against rifle rounds.
Some of the unique features include:
- Larger neck hole for easier head movement
- Quick release system for rapid discard
- Adjustable protective inserts to reduce arm movement interference
- Shoulder protection designed for greater arm and shoulder mobility
- Easier for Marines to shoulder their rifles