Throughout the month, military families are honored and recognized for their commitment and contributions in support of our military and nation.
The Joint Service General Purpose Mask (JSGPM) is a lightweight, protective mask system incorporating state-of-the-art technology to protect U.S. Joint forces from actual or anticipated threats. There are two variants: The M-50 for ground and shipboard personnel and the M-51 for armored combat vehicle crewman.
The JSGPM provides:
- 24 hours of above-the-neck protection from CB agents and radioactive particles
- Head-eye-respiratory protection against chemical, biological, radiological, and nuclear (CBRN) threats (including toxic industrial materials)
- Flame resistant Hood for M-51 (Combat Vehicle Version)
- Improved CB protection
- Improved compatibility with current and emerging CB garments
- Improved reliability, improved comfort
- Enhanced field of view (greater than or equal to 80 percent)
- Lower breathing resistance (less than or equal to 30 millimeter of water)
- Reduced weight/bulk
- Improved drinking system design
- Improved mask carrier system
The JSGPM is interoperable with existing legacy and commercial radio systems, while ensuring future operation with the next generation of communications equipment. The mask system replaces the M40/M42 series of field protective masks for the Army and Marine Corps ground and combat vehicle operations, as well as the MCU-2/P series of protective masks for Air Force and Navy shore-based and shipboard applications.
This mask is currently being fielded to all four Services – a first in the history of development and fielding.