This was an incredibly hectic week, so there were many stories that we just couldn't get to with all the other action on the Hill and elsewhere. Here were a few of them:
• Secretary Panetta warned that if the Doomsday Device "sequestration" goes into effect, it could cause DoD to lay off so many people it might increase the national unemployment rate by a whole percent. Game over, man! Game over!
• Not long after we talked about the infamous Gray Elephant here on Buzz, General Dynamics and the Navy announced they had signed contracts for the second and third Zumwalt-class destroyers, DDGs 1001 and 1002. Maine Sen. Olympia Snowe said the deals "will ensure a strong and steady workload at Bath Iron Works for the next several years,” per the Bangor Daily News. That's the name of the game.
• Speaking of series production, the Army says it could field as many as 26,000 new trucks in its Family of Medium Tactical Vehicles over the next few years.
• Did you hear about DoD's new space warfare office?
• Here's a cool story: A U.S. Navy sailor in Hawaii found a message in a bottle that had been dropped into the ocean by a Japanese girl -- five years ago. So if you're stranded on a desert island, go ahead and send your message, because it'll get there eventually. But keep your beach ball companion around for company since it's going to take awhile.