Students Get Free Travel to Visit Their Military Family Overseas

Travel student flight overseas 18

Are you a college student going to school in the U.S. while your family is stationed outside the country? If so, you may be able to visit them for free this Christmas.

Actually, this benefit isn't limited to just Christmas. You can take one round trip each fiscal year to visit your family overseas if you meet the following requirements:

  • You must be unmarried and under age 23.
  • You must be attending an accredited college or school.
  • You must be enrolled full time in a degree or vocational training program.

Your military parent must be on an accompanied tour outside the continental U.S. (OCONUS); the rest of your family must be living with them.

You're not eligible if you're attending a service academy.

Your military parent must arrange this transportation through their overseas command. You will either fly Space Available on a military aircraft or be reimbursed for a plane ticket. No per diem for incidental expenses is authorized.

Details on the Dependent Student Travel Program are located in the Joint Travel Regulations paragraph 050816.

Keep Up with the Ins and Outs of Military Life

For the latest military news and tips on military family benefits and more, sign up for a free membership and have the information you need delivered directly to your inbox.

Show Full Article