Incest, Rape Trial of Retired Army General Delayed Until September

James J. Grazioplene, a retired two-star Army general, was indicted by a grand jury earlier this month on three counts of rape and three counts of incest. (US Army photo)
James J. Grazioplene, a retired two-star Army general, was indicted by a grand jury earlier this month on three counts of rape and three counts of incest. (US Army photo)

The civilian trial of retired Army Maj. Gen. James Grazioplene, who is accused of raping his daughter in the 1980s, has been rescheduled, a Prince William County Circuit Court official said.

Grazioplene was scheduled to stand trial April 29, but the case has been continued to Sept. 3, according to Christina Shaw, deputy clerk at Prince William's Circuit Court Clerk's office.

The jury trial is currently scheduled to run from Sept. 3 to Sept. 18, Shaw told Military.com on Friday.

A Virginia grand jury indicted Grazioplene -- who retired from the Army in 2005 -- on three counts of rape and three counts of incest against his daughter between Aug. 1, 1987, and May 31, 1988, according to the Dec. 3, 2018, indictment documents.

Related: Judge Denies Bail for Retired Army General Charged with Raping Daughter

The Army charged Grazioplene in 2017 with violating Article 120 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice with six specifications of rape of a minor on multiple occasions between 1983 and 1989, The Washington Post reported.

The service, however, dismissed the case after the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces ruled there should be a five-year statute of limitations on rape charges, Army Times reported.

Grazioplene remains in custody at the Prince William-Manassas Regional Adult Detention Center, jail officials told Military.com on Friday.

Military.com tried to contact Grazioplene's lawyers, Thomas Pavlinic and John Irving, for comment on the case but did not receive a reply by press time.

-- Matthew Cox can be reached at matthew.cox@military.com.

Show Full Article