A U.S. contractor working alongside troops in Afghanistan has been found alive after a blast that killed three American service members and wounded three others. Officials initially announced Monday that the contractor, too, had been killed.
Following an assessment on scene, it was determined that the contractor, an Afghan national, had received initial treatment with other injured civilians, according to Operation Resolute Support officials. The contractor was later identified and treated at Bagram Airfield, officials said in a release Tuesday.
"We feel and mourn the loss of these Americans with their families and loved ones," said Gen. Scott Miller, commanding general of Operation Resolute Support and United States Forces-Afghanistan. "They volunteered to protect their country. We will continue our mission."
The wounded American troops were evacuated and are receiving medical care, officials said Monday.
The blast from an improvised explosive device occurred near Bagram Air Base, the largest U.S. military base in Afghanistan. Defense Department officials told The Wall Street Journal that the explosion was the result of a Taliban attack on a convoy carrying the American service members.
The Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack on Twitter, calling it a suicide bombing on a U.S. armored vehicle.
Officials confirmed to Fox News that the attack was the result of a suicide bombing. The combatants were traveling with a vehicle-borne IED that hit the U.S. armored vehicle during a security patrol, Fox News said.
The names of the casualties are being withheld for at least 24 hours pending next-of-kin notification.