Active-Shooter Training at Wright-Patterson Ends in Lockdown After 911 Call


A planned active-shooter training at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base in Ohio resulted in a real firearm being discharged after a bystander called 911 and responders swarmed the area, officials say.

Officials at Wright-Patterson sounded the all-clear after reports of a shooter sent emergency response personnel rushing to the base hospital Thursday afternoon.

"There was no real-world active shooter incident on Wright Patterson AFB and base personnel remain safe," officials posted on the base's official social media accounts around 3:40 p.m.

In investigation into the incident is now underway; officials said. The incident report, described as a report of an active shooter by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, reportedly came as Wright-Patterson wrapped up a simulated active shooter training exercise.

"Upon investigation, it was determined that the incident ... was not an actual Active Shooter incident," officials wrote in a follow-up statement. "An unknown individual called 911 believing that there was a real-world incident occurring within the base hospital."

In response, security officials showed up to sweep and clear the whole hospital, officials said.

"In an attempt to breach a door that was locked, a security forces member discharged his firearm to open the door and continue the sweep of the facility," the statement continued. "The scene has been declared safe and all personnel have been advised to avoid the base hospital area for the time being."

Officials said first responders had responded with professionalism and urgency to the situation.

"We appreciate the outstanding response and support of our local and state law enforcement agencies from across the Miami Valley that responded to the scene to assist."

According to a statement published on the base's official Twitter and Facebook pages, emergency responders and security forces reported to Wright-Patterson Hospital at about 12:40 p.m. today in response to "a reported incident."

"There are no additional details at this time," the initial statement read. "Information will be released as it is available."

The base was put on lockdown in response to the incident, and personnel were told to shelter in place. It's not immediately clear when the lockdown was lifted.

-- Hope Hodge Seck can be reached at Follow her on Twitter at @HopeSeck.

Story Continues