Pentagon Confirms al-Qaida Higher-Up Killed in Libya Strike

A picture taken on March 13, 2018 shows a general view of destroyed buildings in a central district in the eastern Libyan city of Benghazi. (Abdullah DOMA/AFP)
A picture taken on March 13, 2018 shows a general view of destroyed buildings in a central district in the eastern Libyan city of Benghazi. (Abdullah DOMA/AFP)

A high-ranking al-Qaida operative and another jihadist were killed in a U.s. airstrike in Libya, the Pentagon confirmed Wednesday.

The March 24 strike near Ubari in southern Libya killed "two al-Qaida terrorists, including Musa Abu Dawud, a high ranking Al-Qaida in the Lands of the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) official," the U.S. military's Africa Command said in a statement.

Officials said the strike had been coordinated with the U.N.-backed Government of National Accord (GNA) of Prime Minister Fayez al-Sarraj.

"Dawud trained AQIM recruits in Libya for attack operations in the region," the statement read.

"He provided critical logistics support, funding and weapons to AQIM, enabling the terrorist group to threaten and attack U.S. and Western interests in the region."

Libya has been gripped by chaos since a NATO-backed uprising toppled and killed dictator Moammar Gadhafi in 2011, with rival administrations and multiple militias vying for control of the oil-rich country.

Jihadists and people-traffickers have taken advantage of the chaos to gain a foothold in the North African country.

-- This article was from Agence France Presse and was legally licensed through the NewsCred publisher network. Please direct all licensing questions to legal@newscred.com.

Show Full Article