Aberdeen Proving Ground Confirms Security Breach

Historic plaque about the Aberdeen Proving Ground on the median of U.S. Route 40 in Aberdeen, Maryland. (Photo: Wikimedia Commons by DanTD)
Historic plaque about the Aberdeen Proving Ground on the median of U.S. Route 40 in Aberdeen, Maryland. (Photo: Wikimedia Commons by DanTD)

Aberdeen Proving Ground officials say they are continuing to investigate an incident from last week when an unauthorized vehicle entered the high security Harford County Army post and then left a few minutes later.

Kelly Luster, a spokesperson for the U.S. Army Garrison at APG, confirmed Thursday that a vehicle was seen coming through the post's Route 22 gate on Friday, July 22, "without slowing for the security process."

"The vehicle was confirmed leaving the installation, and the safety and security of the APG community is our primary concern," Luster wrote in an email. "The situation is being investigated fully."

The incident was recorded via video surveillance. The driver entered the Route 22 gate, which is reserved for post employees and contractors, and then left by the same gate a few minutes later, Luster said.

The driver was not detained, according to Luster. Citing the ongoing investigation, he declined to provide further details, such as a vehicle description or whether any passengers were in the vehicle.

"There is an ongoing investigation at the conclusion of which law enforcement will determine what, if any, charges may be brought," Luster stated.

The APG Police are working with "other agencies" on the investigation, according to Luster.

"If the individual wishes to come forward, they may come to the visitors center and ask for the Director of Emergency Services," Luster stated.

Aberdeen Proving Ground has 18,000 to 22,000 civilian employees and soldiers. The two main entrances are off Route 22 and off Route 715, the latter which is reserved for visitors and deliveries.

APG's Route 715 gate was shut down for several hours on June 29 while security personnel investigated what was initially reported to the media as a suspicious vehicle.

A military dog detected the scent of explosive materials when a delivery truck was being put through a routine inspection before being allowed to enter the post.

The driver and a passenger were taken aside and questioned, but they were not detained further, an APG garrison spokesperson said at the time.

Post officials alerted the media, and the gate remained closed to all traffic for more than three hours while APG security, assisted by the Aberdeen Fire Department, the Army's 55th EOD Unit and the Office of the State Fire Marshal, investigated.

The truck was eventually cleared, and the driver proceeded onto the post.

The July 22 incident was not previously announced to the media.

Show Full Article

Related Topics