CLEVELAND — The Cleveland Metroparks plans to revive an abandoned U.S. Coast Guard station in Cleveland and turn it into a center for water activities such as kayaking and rowing.
Cleveland.com reports that the station will receive $500,000 worth of improvements financed by private organizations. Cleveland City Council last month approved legislation to allow the Metroparks to oversee renovations and adopt the building for three years.
The station, located at the mouth of the Cuyahoga River, was built in 1938 and abandoned by the Coast Guard in 1976 when it moved to another site. The city took ownership of the property in 2003 from a private developer who had tried to operate a bar and disco at the station in the early 1990s.