House Seeks to Honor Marines Awarded Medal of Honor

Medal of Honor on cloth

The House of Representatives has passed a resolution to rename the Camp Pendleton post office to honor Marines with ties to the base who have received the Medal of Honor.

The legislation, H.R. 136, would designate the main post office at the base the "Camp Pendleton Medal of Honor Post Office" and recognize Pendleton Marines who have received the nation's highest award for valor and heroism.

"It is my hope that this renaming will serve as a living reminder for all those who visit of the incredible bravery and selflessness of our servicemen and servicewomen," said Rep. Darrell Issa, R-Vista, who carried the resolution.

Among the Camp Pendleton Marines who have received the Medal of Honor are (not an exhaustive list):

  • 1st Lt. John V. Power, who was awarded the medal posthumously in 1944 by President Franklin Roosevelt, for his service as platoon leader during the landing and Battle of Namur Island, Kwajalein Atoll, Marshall Islands on Feb. 1, 1944.
  • Maj. Robert Dunlap, who was awarded the medal in 1945 by President Harry Truman for his service as Commanding Officer of Company C, 1st Battalion, 26th Marines, 5th Marine Division, in action against enemy Japanese forces during the seizure of Iwo Jima in the Volcano Islands on Feb. 20-21, 1945.
  • Pfc. Albert Schwab, who was awarded the medal posthumously in 1946 by Rear Adm. J. J. Clark, for his service as a flame thrower operator in action against enemy Japanese forces on Okinawa Shima in the Ryukyu Islands on May 7, 1945.
  • 2nd Lt. Sherrod Skinner Jr., who was awarded the medal posthumously in 1953 by Vice President Richard Nixon for his service as an artillery forward observer in action against enemy aggressor forces in Korea on the night of Oct. 26, 1952.
  • Staff Sgt. Karl Taylor, who was awarded the medal posthumously in 1971 by President Richard Nixon for his service as company gunnery sergeant during Operation Meade River in the Republic of Vietnam on the night of Dec. 8, 1968.
Show Full Article