ROCKLAND, Mass. -- Several veterans organizations are rallying to help the family of a fallen Marine after their Rockland home caught fire.
Lance Cpl. Walter "Gator" O'Haire was killed in 2007 when he was shot at while patrolling on foot with his platoon in Iraq.
The home of his Gold Star mother Maureen O'Haire caught fire Tuesday morning. Fire Chief Scott Duffey says three residents and a firefighter were treated for injuries. They have since been released.
Duffey says the home was significantly damaged and is uninhabitable. The fire is believed to have been sparked by an electrical issue.
The Enterprise reports the family has received $2,000 from Mass Fallen Heroes and a $5,000 grant from the Military Friends Foundation. The foundation is also starting a relief drive through social media.