"He has been released" but the case was still under investigation by Fort Bragg law enforcement, said Christina Douglas, Fort Bragg's chief of media relations.
Douglas said the man's identity could not be disclosed, and she could not comment on how he gained access to the base, how long he had been living in the barracks, or what his purpose may have been in residing there. The Fayetteville Observer reported that he may have posed as a soldier.
Capt. Douglas Ray, a spokesman for the 3rd Special Forces Group (Airborne), also declined comment on the individual and his living arrangements, other than to say that the case was under investigation.
In a previous statement, Ray said that the 3rd SFG "discovered a civilian living in a barracks building occupied by unit soldiers" on Wednesday. "The Fort Bragg Provost Marshal was immediately contacted and the individual was detained by the military police. The situation is under investigation."
--Richard Sisk can be reached at Richard.Sisk@Military.com.