No Attacks Reported on US Troops after Torture Report Release

U.S. military bases and embassies worldwide remained on heightened alert Wednesday but the initial reaction to the report on CIA prisoner abuses was limited to threats of legal action and mockery from states accused by the U.S. of human rights violations.

"So far there have been no reports of attacks or direct threats" to U.S. military facilities, said Army Col. Steve Warren, a Pentagon spokesman.

Warren would not confirm that Marine fast response teams had been put on standby to deal with any violent reactions but "we certainly are prepared."

Prior to the release of the Senate Intelligence Committee's report on the CIA's harsh interrogation techniques used on terror suspects, the Pentagon directed combatant commanders to bolster force protection measures.

"There are some indications that the release of the report could lead to a greater risk that is posed to U.S. facilities and individuals all around the world," said White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest on Tuesday. "The administration has taken the prudent steps to ensure that the proper security precautions are in place at US facilities around the globe."

Speaking on background, senior Obama administration officials described extensive precautions taken by the State Department prior to the release of the report.

For several months, the administration has been identifying "those locations most at risk" and requiring "all diplomatic missions to assess force protection," a senior official said. "Every single post around the world."

Show Full Article