Vermont State Veteran's Benefits

Vermont Flag

The state of Vermont provides several veteran benefits. This section offers a brief description of each of the following benefits.

Vermont Veteran Housing Benefits

Vermont Veterans' Home
The state of Vermont runs a veterans home in Bennington. Vermont Veterans have priority for admission to the Vermont Veterans Home.  Veterans from other states are welcome to apply. Eligible Veterans are those who served at least ninety days in the Armed Forces of the United States and were discharged under honorable conditions. Gold Star parents and spouses of qualified Veterans also are eligible for admission.

Back to top

Vermont Veteran Financial Benefits

Income Tax Benefits
Active duty pay earned while out-of-state is not taxed. Up to $2,000 in guard/reserve pay is not taxed.

Emergency Financial Assistance
The Office of Veterans Affairs provides emergency financial assistance to veterans and their dependents by providing a one-time payment. Applications are processed over the phone or in person. Applicants will need to provide detailed information on their income and expenses to apply.

Property Tax Reduction
The following are eligible for the exemption:

  • Veterans receiving Disability Compensation at a rating of 50% or higher
  • Veterans receiving Non-Service Connected Pension (also called Improved Pension)
  • Veterans collecting military retirement pay for a medical military retirement
  • Surviving spouses of veterans who had received the exemption (surviving spouses may also be eligible for Dependency and Indemnity Compensation or Death Pension)

The exemption level varies from town to town. State law mandates a minimum $10,000 exemption, although towns are given the option of increasing the exemption to $40,000.

Back to top

Vermont Veteran Employment Benefits

State Employment
Preference points will be added to the scores of eligible applicants who are veterans. In general, an eligible veteran is any person who served in the United States Armed Forces for at least 90 days and was separated under Honorable or other acceptable conditions.  Additional preference points may be claimed if you meet any of the following requirements:

  • a veteran with a service connected disability.
  • the spouse of a totally disabled veteran with a service connected disability.
  • the unmarried widow or widower of a veteran.

In addition, the Vermont legislature has expanded the veteran's preference law by providing eligible veterans the opportunity to apply for jobs that normally are available only to current State employees. Individuals who are eligible for veteran's preference may also apply and compete for vacant positions that are recruited as "State promotional only".

Vermont Employment and Training Assistance
Each State Department of Labor Career Resource Center has professionals who are trained to assist veterans in finding work or job training. They are extremely knowledgeable about veterans' benefits and can refer veterans to the state and federal programs designed to meet their needs. Your local phonebook will have the number of the closest office. When you call, tell them you're a veteran. The link to the left will provide a directory of these professionals in the state.

Vermont CDL Military Skills Test Waiver
Service members who are currently licensed and who are, or were, employed within the last year in a military position requiring the operation of a military motor vehicle equivalent to a commercial motor vehicle may have their skills test waived when applying for a CDL.

Back to top

Vermont Veteran Education Benefits

High School Diplomas for WWII and Korean War Era Veterans
Veterans of the World War II and Korean War Eras who do not have a high school diploma may be eligible to receive one from a Vermont high school. Applications are verified by the Office of Veterans Affairs, and the diplomas are issued by a secondary school picked by the veteran.

Back to top

Vermont Veteran Recreation Benefits

Hunting and Fishing Licenses for Disabled Veterans
Veterans with a VA Service Connected Disability rating of 60% or greater can receive a free lifetime hunting and fishing license..

Hunting and Fishing Licenses for Non-Resident Veterans
Non-Resident veterans that reside in a state that provides reciprocal privilege for Vermont residents and who would qualify for a free license under the disabled Veteran provision, if the person were a Vermont resident, may receive a free one-year fishing, hunting or combination hunting and fishing license.

Resident Military Hunting and Fishing Licenses
Military members may obtain free fishing and hunting licenses by signing the applicable affidavit. A person who obtains a license under this provision may keep the license until it expires, whether or not the person continues to serve in the U.S. Armed Forces. 

Non-Resident Military Hunting and Fishing Licenses
A non-resident Service member of the may buy a license to hunt or fish in Vermont at the resident rate.

Green Mountain Pass
Veterans may receive a Green Mountain Pass for a $2 fee. Use the Green Mountain Pass for free admission to Vermont State Parks (overnight camping and other park fees are excluded), Vermont State Historic Sites, and events which are fully State sponsored. Disabled veterans with a rating of 60% or greater can receive a Green Mountain Pass for free.

Back to top

Other Vermont State Veteran Benefits

Vermont Veterans Memorial Cemetery
The Vermont Veterans Memorial Cemetery is located in Randolph Center. It provides veterans with a resting-place that honors their service at a cost lower than a commercial cemetery. In addition, certain family members may also be buried with the veteran. Applicants can choose from government markers or custom made commercial markers.

Vermont Veterans License Plates
Veterans can receive a Vermont Veterans License Plate when they register their vehicle. Veterans can have a Vermont Veterans License Plate on each of their cars. The Department of Motor Vehicles will charge $10 the first time a vehicle is registered with the plate. Of this fee, $5 goes towards the Office of Veterans Affairs to fund their activities.


Vermont Medals
Veterans who entered the military when they were a resident of Vermont, regardless of where they live now, and received an honorable discharge may be eligible for a state medal honoring their service. There are two medals: The Vermont Veteran's Medal (Bronze) and the Vermont Distinguished Service Medal (Silver). The Vermont Distinguished Service Medal is awarded to those who served in a combat theater. Veterans may choose to have the medals mailed to them or presented in a ceremony. In cases where the veteran is deceased, the medals may be requested by a family member. Medals are usually mailed within 4 weeks of our office receiving an application; those who request a ceremony may have to wait up to a year before there will be a presentations.

Visit the Vermont Office of Veterans Affairs website for more information on any of these programs.

Show Full Article

Related Topics

Veteran Benefits