Alabama State Veteran's Benefits

Alabama Map

The state of Alabama provides several veteran benefits. This section offers a brief description of each of the following benefits.

Alabama Veteran Housing Benefits

Alabama State Veterans Home Program
The State of Alabama has 4 veterans homes:

  1. The Bill Nichols State Veterans Home in Alexander City
  2. The Floyd E. "Tut" Fann State Veterans Home in Huntsville
  3. The William F. Green State Veterans Home in Bay Minette
  4. The Col. Robert L Howard State Veterans Home in Pell City.

There is a monthly fee for the veterans homes.


  • Must be honorably discharged from military service with a minimum of 90 days of service, of which one day was during a wartime period.
  • Must meet the qualifications asset forth by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs criteria for skilled nursing care or domiciliary/assisted living.
  • Must have been a resident of the State of Alabama during the immediate past 12 months.
  • Must have had a medical examination by a physician within 90 days of admission request
  • No medical or nursing care needs that the Home is not equipped or staffed to provide.
  • No behavioral traits that may prove to be dangerous to the well-being of the resident, other residents,staff or visitors.
  • Veterans who do not have war-time service may be admitted to the Home on a space available basis.
  • Must meet the requirements of Alabama's immigration laws.

Property Tax for Homes of Totally Disabled Persons or Those Over Age 65:
Exemption is provided from ad valorem taxation of the home and an adjacent 160 acres of any person who is permanently and totally disabled or who is 65 years of age or older and has a net annual income of $12,000.00 or less for income tax purposes for the last preceding year

Property Tax for Homes of Veterans/Widows Acquired Under Public Law 702:
The home of any veteran which is or was acquired by him under the specially adapted housing grant regardless of its value is tax exempt as long as it is owned and occupied as a home by the veteran or his un-remarried widow.

Alabama Veteran Financial Benefits

Motor Vehicle Paid for by VA Grant:
Any disabled veteran of WW II or of any hostilities in which the United States was, is or shall be engaged against any foreign state who owns an automobile which has been, is or shall hereafter be all or partly paid for with funds furnished for such purposes by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), under the authority of any act of the Congress of the United States is entitled to exemptions from all license fees and ad valorem taxes on such motor vehicle provided the veteran keeps the vehicle only for private use.

Income Tax for Military Retirees
All retirement or compensation received as retirement benefits by any person retired from the military service of the United States of America and survivor benefits derived therefrom is hereby exempt from any state, county or municipal income tax or like tax whatever name called.

Back to top

Alabama Veteran Employment Benefits

State Employment
All honorably discharged veterans can have 5 points added to any earned ratings in examination for entrance to the state classified service. Honorably discharged veterans with a service-connected disability who are entitled to pension, compensation or disability allowance can have 10 points added to any earned ratings. Spouses and Widows/Widowers of certain disabled or deceased veteran can have the 10-point preference extended to them and added to any earned ratings. Veterans also receive preference on the classified service employment registers over non-Veterans with the same ratings.

Job Status and Reemployment Rights
County and municipal officials who enter the military or naval service at a time when a state of national emergency has been declared to exist by the President of the United States, have preservation of job status and reemployment rights.

Any teacher entering the military service of the United States, who is not on continuing service status but who has accumulated one or more years of teaching experience immediately prior to entering military service, shall be given credit for such experience if such teacher is re-imposed within one year after release from military service.

Business and Occupation License Exemptions for Disabled Veterans
Any bona fide permanent resident of Alabama who is a veteran WW II or at any time past, present or future, when the United States was, is or shall be engaged in hostilities with any foreign state and who has physical disabilities of 25% or more whether service-connected or not, who conducts their business as a means of livelihood through their personal efforts and has no more than one employee and whose property (both real and personal) is valued at less than $5,000.00 and net income is less than $2,500.00 is entitled to businesses and occupations license exemptions of $25.00 for each state, county and municipality. There is not a deadline on these exemptions

Back to top


Alabama Veteran Education Benefits

Tuition Waiver for Purple Heart Medal Recipients
Public institutions of higher learning in the State of Alabama, including two-year and four-year postsecondary technical colleges, community colleges, and junior colleges, may waive tuition and fees for recipients of the Purple Heart Medal for undergraduate studies. 

G. I. Dependents' Scholarship Program
The veteran must meet the following qualifications to establish eligibility of his/her dependents:

Military Service: The veteran must have honorably served at least 90 days of continuous active federal military service or honorably discharged by reason of service-connected disability after serving less than 90 days of continuous active federal military service.

Disability Requirements: The veteran must be rated 20% or more due to service-connected disabilities or have held the qualifying rating at the time of death, a former prisoner of war (POW), declared missing in action (MIA), died as the result of a service-connected disability, or died while on active military service in the line of duty.

Residency Requirements: The veteran must have been a permanent civilian resident of the State of Alabama for at least one year immediately prior to (a) the initial entry into active military service or (b) any subsequent period of military service in which a break (1 year or more) in service occurred and the Alabama civilian residency was established. Permanently service-connected veterans rated at 100% who did not enter service from Alabama, may qualify after establishing at least five years of permanent residency in Alabama prior to filing of an application or immediately prior to death, if deceased.

Entitlement: Children and stepchildren of qualified veterans may receive five standard academic years (10 semesters) at any Alabama state-supported institution of higher learning or a prescribed course of study at any state-supported technical school without payment of any tuition, mandatory textbooks or instructional fees.

Additionally, eligible spouses and un-remarried widow(er)s of a qualified veteran rated as 100% permanently and totally disabled may also receive five standard academic years (10 semesters) at any Alabama state-supported institution of higher learning or a prescribed course of study at any state-supported technical school without payment of any tuition, mandatory textbooks or instructional fees. Exception: As of Fall 2009, a spouse or un-remarried widow (er) of a veteran rated 20% to 90% disabled is entitled to three standard academic years (6 semesters) without payment of tuition, mandatory textbooks, and instructional fees or completion of the duration of one prescribed technical course not to exceed 18 months. 

Beginning in Fall 2014, students enrolled for the first time in the program are limited to undergraduate level classes at in-state tuition rates. Students admitted to the program before August 1, 2014 will retain the benefits as previously awarded.

Age Deadline: The child or stepchild must begin training prior to their 26th birthday. If the applicant is a stepchild, the veteran and the stepchild’s parent must be legally married prior to the child’s 19th birthday. Age 30 deadlines may apply in certain situations. There is no age deadline for submission of the application by the spouse or un-remarried widow(er). This deadline may be extended for previously denied applications who were denied solely on the veteran’s peacetime status. In order to receive this extension, applications must be resubmitted and received at ADVA Headquarters no later than August 1, 2015

Application Assistance – Applications may be obtained at any Alabama Department of Veterans Affairs Office. Please contact the ADVA Veterans Service Office nearest you.

Out-of-state applicants may receive additional information by contacting:

Alabama Department of Veterans Affairs
Alabama G. I. Dependents Scholarship Program
P.O. Box 1509
Montgomery, AL 36102-1509
Phone: (334) 242-5077

Alabama Veteran Recreation Benefits

Discounted Fishing License
Alabama resident veterans who are at least 20% disabled can get a discounted freshwater fishing license.

Disabled Veteran Special Hunting License
A special hunting license is available to 100% service-connected veterans at a cost of $2 plus the applicable issuance fee (subject to a possible cost adjustment). A special hunting license is available to 50% service-connected veterans at half of the usual cost plus the applicable issuance fee

Retired Military Pistol Permit
A pistol permit is available for free to individuals who are otherwise eligible for a pistol permit and who retired from active duty the Reserves, or National Guard.

Other Alabama State Veteran Benefits

Alabama State Veterans Cemetery
The Alabama State Veterans Cemetery is located in Spanish Fort. Eligibility for interment in the State Veterans Cemetery follows National Cemetery Administration eligibility requirements. In general, U.S. Veterans discharged under conditions other than dishonorable and their spouses and dependent children are eligible.

Alabama state residency requirements for burial in the State Veterans Cemetery must meet one of the following:

  • Legal resident of Alabama at the time of death; or
  • Legal resident of Alabama when he or she entered the Armed Forces of the United States; or
  • Legal resident of Alabama for a period of 10 or more years (any cumulative period of 10 or more years, regardless of residency at the time of death).

The surviving spouse of an eligible veteran that has been interred who remarries retains his or her eligibility for burial. Unmarried children who are under 21 years of age, or who are under 23 years of age and are pursuing full-time education at an approved institution; or an unmarried adult child of an eligible veteran of any age if the child became physically or mentally disabled and incapable of self-support by reason of mental or physical disability before reaching 21 years of age or before reaching 23 years of age if pursuing full-time education at an approved institution are eligible.

For spouses or dependent children, a $375.00 fee will be charged on the day of interment. For veterans, there is no cost.

Visit the Alabama Department of Veterans Affairs website for more information on any of these programs.

Related Topics

Veteran Benefits