Are you a veteran with an interest in an agricultural career? Being a farmer or rancher means you'll get the opportunity to be your own boss, an entrepreneur, equipment repair specialist, soil scientist, veterinarian, and land steward all rolled into one.
If you have thought about an agricultural career you know that the startup costs can be really high, and there are a lot of things to learn before you get started, however there are several free government resources available specifically for veterans that can make it a lot easier begin an agricultural career.
Just a few of the free resources available for veterans seeking a career in agribusiness include the following.
Financial Resources For Beginning Veteran Farmers And Ranchers
- Beginning Farmers and Ranchers Loans for Veterans
- Farm Service Agency Direct Farm Ownership Loans
- Department of Veteran Affairs Farm Loans: Home Loans for Rural Residents
Educational and Training Resources For Beginning Veteran Farmers And Ranchers
- Alternative Farming Systems: Sustainable Agriculture Education and Training Directory
- Farmer Veteran Coalition Education
- Veterans To Farmers
Business Planning Resources For Beginning Veteran Farmers And Ranchers
- Land Stewardship Project: Farm Beginnings Class
- New Entry: Farm Business Planning Online Course
- Beginning Farmers: Military Veteran Farmer Training
The USDA has also developed a New Farmers website that provides a variety of additional educational resources that can help you access market news, weather and commodity projections, produce safety guides, and more.
Assistance is also available locally through your state, regional, and county Cooperative Extension offices. These offices also conduct workshops and educational events for the agricultural community and can offer personalized service to you