Automobile and Special Adaptive Equipment Grants

Tesla Model S

Veterans with severe disabilities may be eligible for a grant from the VA to help them buy a specially adapted vehicle or adapt an existing vehicle to make it driveable for them. There are two different grants, the VA Automobile Grant and the VA Automobile Special Adaptive Equipment Grant. 

VA Automobile Grant

The automobile grant is available for veterans with service-connected:

  • Loss, or permanent loss of use, of one or both feet, OR
  • Loss, or permanent loss of use, of one or both hands, OR
  • Permanent impairment of vision in both eyes to a certain degree, OR
  • Severe burn injury, OR
  • Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS).

They are eligible for up to $20,577.18 for the purchase of a new or used vehicle.

The grant is paid directly to the seller of the automobile for the total price (up to $20,577.18).  The veteran can only get this grant once in their lifetime.

VA Automobile Special Adaptive Equipment Grant

Those qualified for the automobile grant, and those with immobility of the joint (ankylosis) of one or both knees or hips resulting from an injury or disease incurred or aggravated by active military service may also qualify for the adaptive equipment grant.

Adaptive equipment includes, but is not limited to, power steering, power brakes, power windows, power seats, and special equipment necessary to assist the eligible person into and out of the vehicle.  Contact your local VA medical center's prosthetic department before purchasing any equipment.

The adaptive equipment grant may be paid more than once, and it may be paid to either the seller or the veteran.

How to Apply for the Automobile and/or Special Adaptive Equipment Grant

Veterans can apply for the automobile and/or the special adaptive equipment grant by completing VA Form 21-4502, Application for Automobile or Other Conveyance and Adaptive Equipment and submitting it to the local VA regional office.  The instructions on the VA Form 21-4502 contain a list of adaptive equipment that has been pre-approved for particular disabilities.

Note:  After you complete and submit Section I of the application, VA will complete Section II and return the original to you.  You are responsible for obtaining the invoice from the seller, updating Section III, and submitting the form to your local VA regional office for payment.

If you are entitled to adaptive equipment only (i.e., service connected for ankylosis of knees or hips) you should complete VA Form 10-1394, Application for Adaptive Equipment -- Motor Vehicle and submit it to your local VA medical center.  

The VA Form 10-1394 should also  be completed to approve equipment not specified on the VA Form 21-4502.

Show Full Article

Related Topics

Veteran Benefits