The TRICARE Retiree Dental Program (TRDP) was authorized by Congress to provide a basic dental program for Uniformed Services retirees and their family members. Further legislation has allowed the program to be enhanced to include more comprehensive coverage.
Under contract with the U.S. Department of Defense, the Federal Services division of Delta Dental Plan administers the TRDP.
The TRDP is a voluntary dental benefits program with enrollee-paid premiums. It is available worldwide.
TRICARE Retiree Dental Eligibility
You are eligible to enroll in the TRDP if you are:
- A member of the Uniformed Services who is entitled to Uniformed Services retired pay, including those age 65 and over.
- A member of the Retired Reserve/Guard, including a "gray-area" reservist who is entitled to retired pay but will not begin receiving it until age 60.
- A current spouse of an enrolled member.
- A child of an enrolled member, up to age 21 (to age 23 if a full-time student, or older if disabled before losing eligibility).
- An unremarried surviving spouse or eligible child of a deceased member who died while in retired status or while on active duty.
- A Medal of Honor recipient and eligible immediate family member, or an unremarried surviving spouse/eligible immediate family member of a deceased recipient.
- A current spouse and/or eligible child of certain nonenrolled members with documented proof the nonenrolled member is:
- eligible to receive ongoing, comprehensive dental care from the Department of Veterans Affairs; or
- enrolled in a dental plan, through other employment, which is not available to family members; or
- unable to obtain benefits from the TRDP due to a current and enduring medical or dental condition.
TRICARE Retiree Dental Enrollment
- A 12-month commitment is required upon enrollment.
- A grace period of 30 days from the coverage effective date is available during which termination of enrollment may be allowed without any further obligation, providing that no benefits have been used.
- After the initial 12-month commitment, enrollment continues on a month-to-month basis.
- Enroll three ways: online at www.trdp.org, by toll-free telephone at 888-838-8737 or by mail.
TRICARE Retiree Dental Providers
- Enrollees may seek treatment from any licensed dentist or specialist within the TRDP coverage area.
- To minimize out-of-pocket expenses, enrollees may seek treatment from 200,000 participating provider locations.
For more information including covered services and costs see our Tricare Retiree Dental Program Coverage page.