TRICARE Extra is the option that requires you to choose a network provider within the TRICARE network. It is the fee-for-service option that gives beneficiaries the opportunities to see TRICARE network providers, TRICARE Extra is not available to active duty service members. TRICARE Extra is only available in the USA.
TRICARE Extra meets the minimum essential coverage requirement of the Affordable Care Act.
Who is Eligible
- Active duty family members
- Retired service members and their families
- Family members of activated Guard/Reserve members
- Non-activated Guard/Reserve members and their families who qualify for care under the Transitional Assistance Management Program
- Retired Guard/Reserve members (age 60 and receiving retired pay) and their families
- Medal of Honor recipients and their families
- Qualified former spouses
How it Works
You don't have to apply for TRICARE Extra, as long as you are listed in DEERS you are eligible. You can schedule an appointment with any TRICARE network-authorized provider.
- If you visit a non-network provider, you're using the Standard option.
- If you visit a network provider, you're using the Extra option.
Referrals not required, but you may need prior authorization from your regional contractor for some services.
When you use TRICARE Extra, the provider files claims for you. After you meet your annual deductible the only cost you will have to pay the Doctor is your copayment.
For More Information
See our TRICARE Extra coverage page for more information, including coverage and costs.