What Are CRSC and CRDP and How Do You Get Them?

(Photo: Stock image.)

Combat-Related Special Compensation (CRSC) and Concurrent Retirement Disability Pay (CRDP) are programs created by Congress to allow eligible military retirees to receive monthly entitlements in addition to retired pay.

CRSC is a special compensation for combat-related disabilities. It is non-taxable, and retirees must apply to their Branch of Service to receive it.

CRDP is a restoration of retired pay for retirees with service-connected disabilities that was lost due to the VA compensation offset. This means that an eligible retiree's retired pay will be fully restored (phase in completed as of 2014). CRDP is taxed in the same manner as your retired pay, and it is normally considered taxable income. No application is required. Eligible retirees receive CRDP automatically.

Some Retirees may believe they are already receiving CRSC when they are actually receiving CRDP and may fail to submit their claim for CRSC. If you are not certain which you are receiving, please check your DFAS (or Coast Guard) pay stub and consider submitting your claim for CRSC. The following is a summary of the contrast between CRSC and CRDP:

Comparing CRSC and CRDP

It is important to note that Retirees cannot receive both CRSC and CRDP and must elect one each year through an annual "program election." Many retirees are confused about which is better for them. When making this decision, please note the following characteristics of CRSC and CRDP:




Full Concurrent Receipt



Required Minimum VA Disability Rating:




No - It is a disability payment.

Yes - It is considered recoupment of retired pay.

VA Individual Unemployment (IU) Eligible



Survivor Benefit



Application Requirement

Yes - DD 2860

No - Automatic

Type of Disability

Combat Related

Service Connected

Subject to USFSPA Division (Former Spouse)?



Retroactive Payments

Yes - Back to June 1, 2003

Yes - May go back to June 1, 2004

Claims Process

Must Apply through Service Branch

Automatic Enrollment

CRSC Eligibility

To qualify for CRSC you must:

  • be entitled to and/or receiving military retired pay
  • be rated at least 10% disabled by the VA
  • waive your VA pay from your retired pay
  • file a CRSC application with your Branch of Service

Disabilities that may be considered combat related include injuries incurred as a direct result of:

  • Armed Conflict
  • Hazardous Duty
  • An Instrumentality of War
  • Simulated War

If you have questions about your CRSC eligibility, please call DFAS at 800-321-1080 or contact your Branch of Service.

CRDP Eligibility

You must be eligible for retired pay to qualify for CRDP. If you were placed on a disability retirement, but would be eligible for military retired pay in the absence of the disability, you may be entitled to receive CRDP.

Under these rules, you may be entitled to CRDP if…

  • you are a regular retiree with a VA disability rating of 50% or greater.
  • you are a reserve retiree with 20 qualifying years of service, who has a VA disability rating of 50% or greater and who has reached retirement age. (In most cases the retirement age for reservists is 60, but certain reserve retirees may be eligible before they turn 60. If you are a member of the Ready Reserve, your retirement age can be reduced below age 60 by three months for each 90 days of active service you have performed during a fiscal year.)
  • you are retired under Temporary Early Retirement Act (TERA) and have a VA disability rating of 50% or greater.
  • you are a disability retiree who earned entitlement to retired pay under any provision of law other than solely by disability, and you have a VA disability rating of 50% or greater. You might become eligible for CRDP at the time you would have become eligible for retired pay.

If you have any questions regarding your CRDP payment from DFAS, call 800-321-1080. For questions concerning disability ratings or disability compensation, please contact the VA at 800-827-1000.

The CRSC Application Process:

For more information on how to apply contact your parent military service branch CRSC website:

    US Air Force Personnel Center
    Disability Division (CRSC)
    550 C Street West Suite 6
    Randolph AFB TX 78150-4708
    Phone: 800-525-0102
  • ARMY
    Department of the Army
    U.S. Army Human Resources Command
    ATTN: CRSC Division 
    1600 Spearhead Division Avenue
    Fort Knox, KY 40122-5402
    Phone: 888-281-3254

    Commander (PSC-PSD-MED)
    Personnel Service Center 
    2703 Martin Luther King Jr Avenue SE 
    Washington, DC 20593-7200
    Phone: 202-795-6631

    Department of the Navy
    Secretary of the Navy Council of Review Boards
    Attn: Combat-Related Special Compensation
    720 Kennon Street SE, Suite 309
    Washington Navy Yard, DC 20374-5023
    Phone: 877-366-2772

For more information from DFAS, call toll free at 800-321-1080. Customer service representatives are available Monday through Friday from 0800 - 1700 (ET).

Questions concerning disability ratings or payments due from the VA should be directed to the VA at 800-827-1000.

Click here for Frequently Asked Questions about the Concurrent Receipt of Disability Pay (CRDP) and Combat Related Special Compensation (CRSC) laws.

Keep Up With Military Pay Updates

Military pay benefits are constantly changing. Make sure you're up-to-date with everything you've earned. Subscribe to Military.com to receive updates on all of your military pay and benefits, delivered directly to your inbox.

Story Continues
Military Pay