Military Retirement Paychecks

Man Navigating Maze of Money and Benefits
Helping You Navigate the Maze of Money and Benefits

All military retirees are required to have their retirement paychecks sent by Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) to a financial institution. Retirement Paychecks are always electronically deposited on the first business day of the month. In addition, International Direct Deposit (IDD) is available to U.S. military retirees and annuitants living in certain overseas locations. The following is a summary of retired payment information:

Setting Up or Changing EFT

Retirees with a myPay account, simply log into myPay and enter your bank routing and account numbers. DFAS will require about a week before pay is deposited in your checking or savings account.

Military retirees and annuitants without a myPay account can complete the Fast Start Direct Deposit form and send it to DFAS, U.S. Military Retired Pay, 8899 East 56th Street, Indianapolis, IN 46249-1200.

Former spouses of military retirees should complete a Direct Deposit Authorization (Form 1059) and mail it to DFAS, Garnishment Operations, 8899 East 56th Street, Indianapolis, IN 46249-1200 if they do not have a myPay account.

Military members or civilian employees paid by DFAS should contact their base finance office, employer's Customer Service Representative (payroll liaison) or human resources office to start direct deposit if they’re unable to accessmyPay.

Those needing additional assistance can call DFAS customer service at 800-321-1080 (for retirees and annuitants) or 888-332-7411 (for military and civilian employees).

Treasury Debit Card

The Treasury realizes some people do not and cannot have bank accounts, for this reason they have authorized payment of your retirements directly to a debit card. This card can be used almost for payments almost anywhere and you can also use it to get cash from an ATM. You can have your Department of Defense benefit payment deposited directly to your debit card.

A description of the card and its features can be found at.

To have your Department of Defense benefits paid on a debit card, you must complete all fields marked “required” on the enrollment form (FMS Form 1201DFAS ). Once you have completed the form, please mail it to:

U.S. Treasury Electronic Payment Solution Center P.O. Box 650527 Dallas, TX 75265-0527

IMPORTANT: Once your debit card enrollment has been processed, you will receive a letter containing your card and instructions from the U.S. Treasury Electronic Payment Solution Center. These instructions will tell you how to activate your card. and authorize DFAS to transfer your monthly payments to it.:

Overseas Retirees

International Direct Deposit (IDD) is available to U.S. military retirees living in eligible locations overseas. IDD electronically deposits funds on the first business day of the month.

Enrolling in IDD Complete the form for International Direct Deposit Enrollment (SF 1199-I) and mail it to:

For Retirees: For annuitants, beneficiaries and survivors:

Defense Finance and  Accounting Service U.S. Military Retired Pay 8899 East 56th Street Indianapolis, IN 46249-1200

Fax: 800-469-6559

Defense Finance and Accounting Service U.S. Military Annuitant Pay 8899 East 56th Street Indianapolis, IN 46249-1200

Fax: 800-982-8459

Make sure the form is accurately completed and signed. Incorrect or incomplete enrollment forms will be returned unprocessed for correction, delaying your enrollment. Typed forms are preferable.

If you currently have your pay sent via direct deposit to a stateside financial institution, do not close that account until you have verified receipt at your international bank. Otherwise, your pay will be returned to DFAS, causing additional delays.

Security and Safety of IDD

Nations chosen for IDD eligibility have met the requirements of the Federal Reserve Bank. Simply put, the banks and other financial institutions in those countries provide secure and trustworthy services and have systems compatible with transferring funds from the U. S. to your account. In many ways, IDD is much more secure than receiving your pay by paper check. Mailed checks can be subject to loss, misrouting or theft. Funds transferred through IDD are sent encrypted and arrive safely at your bank.

Countries Where IDD is Available



New Zealand











Hong Kong




South Africa




British Virgin Island


St. Kitts



St. Lucia

Cayman Island


St. Vincent & Grenadines







Dominican Republic


Trinidad & Tobago


Netherlands Antilles

United Kingdom

Don't See Your Country Listed?  As more countries become eligible, affected retirees will be notified. If you reside in a country that is not on International Electronic Fund Transfer and would like to participate, please send a written inquiry to:

DFAS Cleveland - Retired & Annuitant Pay Services 1240 East 9th Street, Room 1579C Cleveland, OH 44199

Waiver of Direct Deposit

You can apply for a waiver to the electronic payment requirement in a limited range of circumstances.

If you were over 90 years of age by May 1, 2011, the electronic payment requirement has been waived for you. If you currently receive your payments by paper check, you do not have to do anything. You will automatically continue to receive your payments by paper check. 

In addition, if you live outside the United States, the electronic payment requirement has been waived for you. If you currently receive your payments by paper check, you do not have to do anything. You will automatically continue to receive your payments by paper check.

Otherwise, if you want to continue receiving paper checks, you must apply for a waiver. You can only qualify for a waiver if you meet one of the following conditions:

  1. You have a mental impairment (doctor’s note recommended but not required).
  2. You live in a remote location where the infrastructure does not support use of electronic payment products. For example, direct deposit is not available or there are no ATMs or point of sale locations to utilize a debit and/or prepaid card.

Please do not apply for a waiver unless you believe you meet one of above-referenced conditions. If you believe you might qualify for a waiver, you can download a request formv(FS Form 1201W-DFAS).

Please complete the form, supplying all requested information and attached documentation. Once you have completed and signed the form, you can mail it to

U. S. Treasury Electronic Payment Solution Center P. O. Box 650015 Dallas, TX 75265-0015

Show Full Article

Related Topics

Military Retirement