Did you know that making one change to your construction resume could improve your chances of job search success? Adding keywords will help get your resume noticed and expose you to more job opportunities.
What Are Keywords?
Keywords are terms that hiring managers enter when searching for resumes on Monster. If your resume contains keywords that match those a potential employer is searching for, you have a much better chance of being found. Your keywords continue to be helpful when an actual hiring manager reviews your resume, showing that person you have the desired qualifications for the job. Keywords can be categorized as follows:
- Job titles, especially the one you are pursuing
- Job-specific skills and knowledge areas
- Soft skills (such as "team player" or "leadership skills")
- Tools, equipment and technical applications
- Industry credentials, such as certifications, licenses, training and degrees
- Employer names
- School names
- Affiliations and union membership
Keywords can appear anywhere on your resume. Use the Skills section on your Monster resume to include a comprehensive list of skill-related keywords.
How to Find Keywords
Think like a hiring manager: If you were hiring someone with your background, what credentials would you look for? A helpful exercise is to search for your target job on Military.com/Careers and review the postings that come up. Look for frequently requested skills, licenses and other useful keywords.
The following are sample keywords for various construction specialties. The lists are not exhaustive, as the keywords you should add to your resume depend on your experience and skills. Use the lists as a starting point for determining important keywords you can integrate into your own resume:
Keywords Related to All Trades
- Soft Skills: Professionalism, results-driven, self-starter, goal-oriented, team player, communication skills, interpersonal skills, multi-tasker, honest, organized, dependable, punctual, leader, customer service.
- Construction-Specific: Valid driver's license, own hand/power tools, safe and clean working environment, regulatory and safety compliance (OSHA, ADA, UBC, HAZMAT), equipment maintenance, available for travel and flexible shifts.
- Bricklayer: Certified bricklayer, mason, brickmason, blockmason, stonemason, tuckpointer, interior/exterior wall layout and construction, mortar selection, mortar preparation, installation of insulation in masonry walls, radial brick laying, stone laying for industrial/residential chimneys, firebrick application to chimneys and smokestacks, acid-resistant brick application to kilns and tanks, precision stone cutting, precision brick cutting, precision block cutting, masonry materials handling/cutting, masonry structure reinforcement, brick alignment, foundation wall layout and construction, chimney and fireplace layout and construction, layout/construction of grouted reinforced masonry walls, pavement and patio layout and construction, refractory brick and mortar materials.
- Carpenter: Construction carpenter, bench carpenter, rough carpenter, carpenter's helper, carpenter assistant, lead carpenter, journeyman carpenter, finish carpenter, framing carpenter, general construction, restoration and remodeling, facility maintenance, residential construction, commercial construction, framing, interior/exterior finishing, blueprint reading, cabinetmaking, finish carpentry, commercial flooring, concrete flatwork, painting, construction quality assurance, reading construction plans, tile installation, floor installation, cabinet installation, construction repair, window-frame and door fitting/installation, building foundation preparation, beam/girder/footing form installation, roof construction, wall and ceiling covering application, trim/door/baseboard/molding installation, wall/ceiling/flooring erection and insulation, materials selection/cutting/shaping.
- Construction Manager: Construction supervisor, construction project manager, project superintendent, construction foreman, assistant construction supervisor, project management, commercial construction, industrial construction, residential construction, construction supervisor's license, plan reading, Work Breakdown Structures (WBS), ground-up projects, subcontractor recruitment/supervision, enforcement of codes and safety regulations, structural engineering drawings, job site supervision & safety, project estimating/bidding, workflow & project scheduling, Critical Path Methods (CPMs), project funding, materials ordering, budgeting & pro-formas, quality control, architectural design, blueprint reading, land acquisition, MS Project, AutoCAD.
- Construction Worker/Laborer: Construction laborer, construction helper, general laborer, heavy construction projects, construction machines and tools, construction site cleaning and prep, demolition, backfill excavations, scaffolding building, asbestos removal, propane/oxygen/acetylene torches, heavy machinery operation, cement mixer, forklifts, backhoes, cranes, cable trucks, hydra-lift trucks, haul trucks, use of levels, repetitive heavy lifting.
- Electrician: Electric motor/switch assembler and repairer, electronic equipment installer/repairer, electrical power-line installer/repairer, electrician's helper, electrician assistant, commercial electrician, maintenance electrician, certified electrician, journeyman electrician, electric meter installer/repairer, electrical engineer, avionics technician, electrical technician, schematic diagram interpretation, blueprint reading and interpretation, control circuit troubleshooting, 120V, 480/277V, VFDs, individual sensors, level probes, thermocouples, RTD, 3-phase AC motors, drive systems, electrical testing equipment, logic schematics, mechanical aptitude, welding equipment, air compressors, HVAC systems, vacuum pumps, programmable logic controller (PLC) systems, Allen Bradley PLC Systems, motor controls, pneumatics, hydraulics, mechanical systems, welding systems, project management (PM), SLC-5 series, rsnetworx, Control Logix, DH+, process control instrumentation, I/P, PID, voltage troubleshooting, standard wiring practices, National Electrical Codes (NEC), AC/DC control circuit troubleshooting.
- Ironworker: Steel worker, metal fabricator, presser, production worker, rebar worker, drawing and schematic reading and interpretation, rigging assembly, heavy equipment moving, cable attachments, steel unit positioning and alignment, pre-fabricated structure assembly, reinforcing bar and tension cable laying and connecting, steel cutting and positioning, concrete reinforcement, ornamental ironwork installation, robotic equipment, mag drills, Hogan drills, grinders, hydraulic tools.
- Mason: Stonemason, brickmason, blockmason, bricklayer, tile and marble setter, cement mason, concrete finisher, stucco mason, plaster mason, junior mason, mason apprentice, journeyman mason, cornering, lead construction, course construction, mortar selection and preparation, brick and stone sizing/cutting, natural and manmade stone materials, granite/limestone/marble masonry, concrete masonry, brick masonry, wedges, plumblines, levelers, wall and floor construction, chimney and fireplace construction, residential and commercial construction, stone laying, brick laying, precision cutting, brick and stone alignment, blueprint reading.
- Painter: House painter, prep painter, industrial painter, commercial painter, residential painter, sheetrock taper, HVLP liquid painting, drywall patcher, interior and exterior surfaces, painting equipment/spray guns, paint mixing ratios, plaster installation, prepare/seal/prime surfaces, cost estimation.
- Plumber: Journeyman plumber, master plumber, drain technician, plumber gasfitter, industrial plumber, service plumber, residential service plumber, commercial services plumber, licensed tradesman plumber, licensed plumber, plumber's helper, journey license, master plumber's license, equipment maintenance, high-rise, tilt-up, estimating, new construction, plumbing system installation and testing, licensed backflow tester, underground plumbing and piping systems, steam systems, boiler installation, jetter experience, water treatment systems installation, industrial piping, gas piping, sprinkler systems, rough-in, gas lines, emergency service, pipes and pipe fittings, blueprint reading, pipe cutters, cutting torch, threading machine, bending machine, preventive maintenance.
- Roofer: Roofer, roofer's helper, roofing assistant, roofing assembler/repairer, sheet metal roofer, roof technician, roof installation, safety and code requirements, equipment/tool maintenance, blueprint reading, roof damage assessment, roof design and construction, roof repair, material requirements calculations, correcting structural/insulation/waterproofing deficiencies, roof decking preparation, laying insulation and waterproofing materials, flashing and drain installation, conducting drainage and waterproofing tests, coordinating with building inspectors, preventive maintenance, project management, quality assurance.
- Surveyor: Registered land surveyor, surveying technician, cartographer, survey researcher, mapping technician, land surveying, survey computations, subdivision mapping, deed descriptions, GPS/GIS systems and tools, client management, project management, civil engineering, environmental engineering, cost estimates, workplan preparation, permit preparation, excavation drill equipment, subcontractor selection/supervision, geologic and hydrogeologic interpretations, risk assessment, remediation feasibility testing, data analysis, report preparation, AutoCAD, land development desktop software, topographic data collection, CADD mapping, robotic total stations (e.g., Leica, Topcon, Nikon, Geodimeter).
- Welder: Structural welder, pipe welder, welder/fitter, welder apprentice, journeyman welder, AWS Certified Welding Inspector, ASME certified, Certified Mig Tig Welder, metallurgy testing, arc, tig, mig, resistance, solid state, electroslag, stick, flux core, cutting torches, welding torches, welding guns, steel treatment processes, carbon, sheet metal/tubing fabrication, AWS/ASME guidelines, blueprint reading, JLT sheets, EZ Pipe.