Can I Get a PCS Claim Extension?

PCS mover with boxes on a dolly

Dear Q&B --

I dropped the ball. I thought we had 90 days to file our claim for things damaged during our last PCS, but we had only 75.

Today is day 77. Do we have any hope of an extension or a waiver? Please say "yes."

Sincerely, Kelly on the Move

Dear Kelly --

We've all been there. Military moves are so hectic, and getting the claim in is such a pain that it's easy to put it off.

The good news is I am not going to say "no" to your question. The bad news is I'm also not going to say "yes." This is one of those "it sort of depends" situations.

Like many parts of Permanent Change of Station (PCS) moves, the little details are governed by your specific military service. That's true with PCS claims, as well. You can hit up your military claims office for information on whether you can get an extension to the 75-day timeframe.

Your chances of that waiver being granted go up if you have a really good reason for missing the cutoff, said Fred Rice, a spokesman for Surface Deployment and Distribution Command (SDDC), the Defense Department office that handles military moves.

"If you had good cause to exceed the 75-day notice period, such as an officially recognized absence or hospitalization during all or a portion of the time period, this information should be passed to your Transportation Service Provider for their consideration," Rice said. "In these cases, your TSP is required to contact your military claims office for a determination."

In other words, let your local military move office and the claims office know about your problem. They might be able to help.

Good luck!

Sincerely, Team Q&B

-- Do you have a question about your benefits? Email the Questions and Benefits team at

Show Full Article

Related Topics

Benefits Family and Spouse PCS