'Six' Renewed for Season 2

WILMINGTON -- History channel's locally filmed series "Six" has been cleared for a second tour of duty.

The military drama series, which was based at EUE/Screen Gems Studios in Wilmington, has been renewed for a 10-episode sophomore season -- up from its eight-episode first season.

The second season is expected to start shooting this summer for a likely 2018 bow, according to a release from A&E Networks, which produces the series.

However, a decision on the whether the series will return to Wilmington has not yet been made.

The still-airing freshman season, which debuted its sixth episode Wednesday, introduced viewers to the men of Navy SEAL Team Six as they traveled to Afghanistan in pursuit of a terrorists and fought to bring home their embattled former leader (played by "Justified's" Walton Goggins), who has been taken hostage by the Boko Haram.

Barry Sloane, Kyle Schmid, Juan Pablo Raba, Edwin Hodge, Brianne Davis, Nadine Velazquez and Jaylen Moore also star.

With nearly half of the series following the men in their personal lives in Virginia, a return to Wilmington is not out of the question. But the military storyline and setting for the new season, which could dictate where the production is able to film, have not been revealed.

Wilmington Mayor Bill Saffo said he is hopeful "Six" will stick with Wilmington, even if it requires the production to traverse the state on occasion.

"Because of the show's context -- SEAL Team Six goes all over the world -- it could be that they need mountain scenes," he said. "Hopefully they will come back, but maybe there would be times they need to head to the western part of the state (to film)."

The first season, which shot last summer, built sets on several EUE/Screen Gems sound stages and its backlot, where an African village was constructed.

The series received $7.2 million in funding from the state's film grant fund for its first season. Should it stay in the Port City, funding is still up for grabs in the grant's latest injection of $30 million. Last week, $9 million in funding was approved for the second season of another Wilmington-based series, TNT's "Good Behavior."

Saffo said both productions have expressed praise for the area's tanet.

"What we are hearing is that they really (recognize) the professionalism and work ethic of the crews here and they just fall in love with the area," he said. "It's a testament to the workers, the community and EUE/Screen Gems."

"Six" ranks as the no. 1 new cable series of 2017 with an average of 2.9 million viewers for its first four episodes, according to the release.

Reporter Hunter Ingram can be reached at 910-343-2327 or Hunter.Ingram@StarNewsOnline.com. ___

(c)2017 the Star-News (Wilmington, N.C.)

Visit the Star-News (Wilmington, N.C.) at www.starnewsonline.com

Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

 

This article is written by Hunter Ingram from Star-News, Wilmington, N.C. and was legally licensed via the Tribune Content Agency through the NewsCred publisher network. Please direct all licensing questions to legal@newscred.com.

Show Full Article