Why pay for tax preparation and filing software when you don't have to? Free tax preparation services are once again available to active duty members, retirees, veterans, and their families.
Free Tax Preparation for Army, Navy, Marine Corps, and Air Force Members
Military OneSource offers free online tax preparation and filing. This online software product is easy to use, and free technical assistance is available if you need it. If you have any personal tax-related questions, you can call 800-342-9647 for free tax consultation with a Military OneSource tax consultant.
The following individuals are eligible to receive Military OneSource tax services:
- All active-duty service members of the United States Army, United States Marine Corps, United States Navy and United States Air Force
- Members of the National Guard and of the reserve — regardless of activation status — including members of the Coast Guard activated as part of the Department of the Navy under Title 10 authority
- Service members who retired (includes medically retired individuals) and discharged honorably (includes general under honorable conditions) are eligible until 180 days past their retirement date, end of tour of service or discharge date
- Spouses and dependent children of the eligible service members and those who are authorized in Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System
- A family member who is taking care of the affairs of an eligible service member when the service member is deployed
- A severely injured service member of one of the services noted above or a designated family member of a severely injured member who is incapable of handling his or her own affairs
- Eligible survivors of active-duty, National Guard and reserve deceased service members regardless of conflict or activation status
- Members of the Department of Defense civilian expeditionary workforce when deployed (as defined by Department of Defense Directive 1404.10) during the 90 days prior to deployment and 180 days post deployment
Military OneSource tax consultations
Military OneSource provides assistance in making informed decisions about your tax situation. This assistance includes:
- Sharing information on tax requirements and other military-related issues
- Identifying tax regulations
- Providing printed and electronic tax forms and helping you understand how to complete them
- Reviewing your options for using a refund
- Explaining additional tax services available
- Helping you access the Military OneSource free tax preparation and filing software
- Assisting you if you have any tax-related questions while preparing your tax returns
- Connecting you to other Military OneSource services, such as confidential non-medical counseling, if needed
Free Tax Preparation for Coast Guard Members
CGSUPRT will offer free 2015 tax return filing services from H&R Block. This free offer is only valid if you access H&R Block through the link on the CGSUPRT website.
This is the same free tax preparation program you may have used in past years. So, if you created an H&R Block account last year, your login credentials for that account will still work and you will be able to access last year's personal tax information. If you have questions about this tax service or about your own tax returns, please call 855-CG SUPRT (247-8778) and ask to schedule an appointment with a CG SUPRT tax consultant. Trained tax consultants are available 5 days a week (Monday - Friday) from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m., EST by appointment.
The following are eligible for the CG SUPRT tax service:
- All Active-duty and selected reserve members of the U.S. Coast Guard.
- Spouses and dependent children of the services noted above, and who are authorized in DEERS.
- All civilian employees (GS) of the U.S. Coast Guard
- Household members and dependents of U.S. Coast Guard civilian employees.
Free Tax Preparation for Retirees and Veterans
Retirees can receive free tax advice and preparation assistance through Military Judge Advocate General (JAG) offices. See our Free Legal Assistance Page for more details.
Veterans who make $54,000 or less may receive free tax advice and preparation assistance through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program. See the IRS website for more details
AARP offers free tax advice and preparation assistance to low and moderate income taxpayers, with special attention given to those 60 and older.See the AARP website for more details.