What are Your OCONUS Miscellaneous Expenses?


The miscellaneous allowance is used to offset various costs associated with permanent change of station orders. No advance of funds is authorized for this expense. Listed below are the reimbursable amounts.

  • Under the flat rate method:
    • No receipts are required.
    • Employees without dependents receive $500 or one week of basic pay, whichever is less.
    • Employees with dependents receive $1,000 or the equivalent of two week's basic pay, whichever is the lesser amount. If the dependents don't relocate, the amount payable is limited to $500.
  • Under the itemization method:
    • Each expense claimed must be supported with a paid receipt.
    • An employee with no immediate family is allowed up to one week of the employee's basic pay rate, not to exceed the equivalent of the pay of a GS-13, step 10.
    • An employee with immediate family is allowed up to two weeks of the employee's basic pay rate, not to exceed the equivalent of the pay of a GS-13, step 10.
    • If the family doesn't relocate, the amount payable is limited to the employee only rate.

Basic pay is the rate in effect when the employee reports for duty at the new PDS. In no instance will the allowable amount exceed the maximum rate (step 10) of grade GS-13. Examples of reimbursable miscellaneous items include, but are not limited to:

  • Fees for disconnecting, connecting, or converting appliances, equipment, and utilities involved in relocation; and cost of converting appliances for operation on available utilities.
  • Cutting/fitting rugs, drapes, and curtains moved from one residence another.
  • Utility fees/deposits that are not offset by eventual refunds.
  • Losses on medical, dental, and food locker contracts that are not transferable; and contracts for private institutional care, such as that provided for handicapped or invalid dependents only, which are not transferable.
  • Costs associated with transferring a vehicle from one state to another, such as vehicle registration, driver's licenses (including dependents'), or state use taxes.

Examples of items that are not reimbursable:

  • Costs/expenses that exceed authorized maximums.
  • Costs/expenses incurred but which are disallowed elsewhere in the regulations.
  • Costs reimbursed under other provisions of law or regulations.
  • Costs/expenses incurred for reasons of personal taste or preference and not required because of the move.
  • Losses covered by insurance.
  • Fines or other penalties imposed upon you or your dependents.
  • Judgments, court costs, and similar expenses growing out of civil actions.
  • Any other expense brought about by circumstances, factors, or actions in which the move to a new duty station was not the cause.

Procedures for submitting MEA You must submit the following after relocation of the employee and/or dependents:

  • DD Form 1351-2 Travel Voucher or Subvoucher (PDF).
    • Sign and date.
    • Do not write below the signature block.
    • Write the following statement in block 18: "I certify that I have discontinued my residence at the old PDS and have established a residence at the new PDS." Include the dollar amount being claimed.
    • Indicate on the voucher who actually relocated with you.
    • Travel approving official signature in approving officer signature block, if itemizing
    • Three copies of Travel Orders including amendments.
    • Receipts if itemizing.

To get more PCS tips or information, visit Military.com's PCS section.

Show Full Article