If you're a new appointee to the Federal government, as well as the vacancy announcement authorized payment of relocation expenses, you may be eligible for a government paid move.
A new appointee includes:
- An individual who has performed transition activities under section 3 of the Presidential Transition Act of 1963 (3 U.S.C. §102 note) and who is appointed in the same fiscal year as the Presidential inauguration that immediately follows his/her transition activities.
- An individual appointed after a break in service. NOTE: An employee separated as a result of a RIF or transfer of function may be treated as a transferee instead of a new appointee.
- A student trainee who is assigned upon completion of college work.
Payment of travel and transportation expenses for First Duty Station moves are limited to the following:
- Travel expenses including per diem for the appointee or student trainee
- Transportation for immediate family of appointee or student trainee
- Mileage if privately owned vehicle is used
- Transportation and temporary storage of household goods
- Nontemporary storage of household goods is appointed to an isolated location
- Transportation of mobile homes
The following expenses are not authorized:
- Per diem for family
- Cost of house-hunting trip
- Subsistence while occupying temporary quarters
- Miscellaneous expense allowance
- Residence sale and purchase expenses
- Lease-breaking expenses
- Location services
To get more PCS tips or information, visit Military.com's PCS section.