Incident with Foreign National Prompts All American Gate Closure at Fort Bragg

Arrest warrants were issued last week for two Army soldiers serving at Fort Bragg, N.C. One of them is described as "the facilitator" in a sham-marriage conspiracy; the other soldier is a naturalized citizen from Ghana. (US Army photo)
Arrest warrants were issued last week for two Army soldiers serving at Fort Bragg, N.C. One of them is described as "the facilitator" in a sham-marriage conspiracy; the other soldier is a naturalized citizen from Ghana. (US Army photo)

Fort Bragg's All American gate is now open, after a security incident caused it to be closed during the morning and afternoon hours Tuesday, officials said.

Col. Larry Dewey, Fort Bragg's director of emergency services, said a foreign national attempted to broach the All American gate at about 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, but did not want to present any form of identification.

"Eventually when he did it was expired so it wasn't valid," Dewey said.

The man was traveling on a Jordanian passport, but his VISA, driver's license and vehicle registration were all expired.

Dewey said the man was acting suspicious by not wanting to present his identification, not wanting guards to search is vehicle and acting suspicious around his vehicle.

"He did not try to rush the gate," Dewey said. "He wasn't necessarily combative. He was a little bit confrontational verbally and didn't want to cooperate, but there was no overt attempt to try to access by force."

Dewey said the man did not provide "a good reason," about why he was trying to access Fort Bragg.

"He had no legitimate grounds for being here. He wasn't invited here," Dewey said.

Because of his behavior, military working dogs were called to inspect his vehicle.

The dog had a "change of behavior," which indicated there could have possibly been something in the vehicle, Dewey said.

Explosive ordnance disposal teams were called, and the gate was closed and area was evacuated as a precaution.

As of mid Tuesday afternoon, Dewey said there was nothing found in the vehicle, but it would be towed for further inspection.

The man remained detained for questioning Tuesday afternoon, as Homeland Security and Immigration and Custom Enforcement will determine the next step, Dewey said.

Dewey said local law enforcement, fire and emergency services, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and a joint group task force were at the scene.

"The response was exactly how we'd want to do. As always we'll look into our internal response procedures to ensure we followed our own protocol and see if there's anything better we can do," he said.

This article is written by Rachael Riley from The Fayetteville Observer, N.C. and was legally licensed via the Tribune Content Agency through the NewsCred publisher network. Please direct all licensing questions to legal@newscred.com.

Show Full Article