PETERSON AIR FORCE BASE, Colo. -- The Pentagon is developing a way to quickly warn military personnel in the U.S. about threats to their safety, like the 2015 attack that killed four Marines and a sailor in Chattanooga, Tenn., Defense Secretary Ash Carter said Friday.
Carter also said the military is clarifying its rules about when military personnel can carry weapons at recruiting centers and larger installations.
He discussed the steps during a change of command ceremony for the U.S. Northern Command and North American Aerospace Defense Command in Colorado.
The goal of the warning system is to notify personnel of a threat within a 20-mile radius in 10 minutes or less, Carter said. He gave no other details.
The Defense Department will spend an extra $100 million over two years on protecting personnel in response to the July 2015 shootings in Tennessee, he said.
Mohammad Youssef Abdulazeez, 24, shot at a Chattanooga military recruiting office before driving to a Navy reserve center and opening fire, authorities said. He was killed in a confrontation with police. The military determined it was an act of terrorism.
Military personnel are generally prohibited from carrying firearms at recruitment centers and bases, but Carter reminded the service chiefs last year that existing policy allows for armed personnel for security, law enforcement and counterintelligence duties.
He said Friday the rules are being clarified "so that members who are appropriately trained and authorized by the commander of the installation can be armed, are armed right now."
Commanders at individual installations have substantial discretion on who can be armed, Carter said.