ST. MARYS -- The ballistic missile submarine USS Tennessee has been named winner of the Chief of Naval Operations Environmental Award in the submarine category.
It's the second consecutive year the Tennessee, home-ported at Naval Submarine Base Kings Bay, has earned the award.
Vice Adm. Phil Cullom, deputy chief of naval operations for fleet readiness and logistics, commended the 29 winners.
"I would like to extend my thanks and congratulations to all of the fiscal year 2015 Environmental Award winners," he said in a statement. "Your efforts not only embody the environmental stewardship ethic but also aid in fulfilling the Navy's national security mission. I applaud all of the nominees for their tireless commitment to preserving resources and bettering the environment."
The awards are an annual recognition for the nominated ships, installations and individuals for exceptional achievements in environmental stewardship. Winners will advance to the Secretary of Navy level of competition, where they will compete with nominees from the Marine Corps.
Master Chief Michael Johnson, chief of the boat's Gold Crew and a sonar technician, credited the sailors from both crews that alternate patrols aboard the boat.
"Receipt of this award is a testament to both crews' dedication to environmental preservation as well as their constant professionalism in the operation of the complex equipment aboard the Tennessee," he said.
The winners in various categories included:
--Natural Resources Conservation, small installation
- Commander Fleet Activities Yokosuka, Japan
- Naval Air Facility Atsugi, Japan
- Pacific Missile Range Facility Barking Sands, Hawaii
--Natural Resources Conservation, Individual/Team
- Ian Trefry of Portsmouth Naval Shipyard, Kittery, Maine
- Naval Air Station Oceana and Naval Air Station Hampton Roads NW Annex NR Support Team, Virginia
- Southwest Marine Biology Team of Navy Region Southwest and NAVFAC Southwest, San Diego
--Environmental Quality, Non-industrial Installation
- Naval Medical Center Portsmouth, Virginia
- Naval Support Activity Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
- Navy Region Center Singapore
--Environmental Quality, Individual/Team
- Commander Fleet Activities Yokosuka PWD Environmental Management Division Team, Japan
- Naval Station Norfolk Environmental Compliance Team, Norfolk
- NAVFAC Northwest Environmental Management System Team, Silverdale, Washington
--Sustainability, Industrial Installation
- Fleet Readiness Center Southeast, Jacksonville, Florida
- Fleet Readiness Center Southwest, San Diego
- NAVSUP Fleet Logistics Center San Diego
--Environmental Restoration, Installation
- Joint Expeditionary Base Little Creek-Fort Story, Norfolk
- Portsmouth Naval Shipyard, Maine
--Environmental Restoration, Individual/Team
- Naval Base Ventura County Environmental Restoration Team, San Diego
- St. Juliens Creek Annex Environmental Restoration Program Partnering Team, Virginia Beach, Virginia
- Vieques Environmental Restoration Program Team, Puerto Rico
--Cultural Resources Management, Large Installation
- Naval Air Station Fallon, Nevada
- Naval Support Activity Crane, Indiana
- Naval Weapons Station Yorktown, Virginia
--Environmental Excellence in Weapon System Acquisition, Large Program
- P-8A Environment, Safety, and Occupational Health Team, Patuxent River, Maryland
- Large Deck Combatant -- USS Carl Vinson
- Littoral or Amphibious Warfare -- USS Sentry
- Military Sealift Command -- USS Emory S. Land
- Surface Combatant -- USS Chafee
- Submarine -- USS Tennessee