TRICARE For Life (TFL) is Medicare wraparound coverage for TRICARE beneficiaries who have Medicare Part A and Medicare Part B, regardless of age or place of residence. With TFL, you have the freedom to seek care from any Medicare-participating or nonparticipating provider, or at a military hospital or clinic on a space-available basis. Enrollment is not required, but you must pay Medicare Part B premiums.
TFL is available worldwide, in the U.S. and its territories TFL pays after Medicare, in all other OCONUS areas TFL is the first payer.
TFL meets the requirements for minimum essential coverage under the Affordable Care Act.
How it Works
You may visit any authorized provider.
- Your provider files your claims with Medicare.
- Medicare pays its portion and sends the claim to the TRICARE For Life claims processor.
- TRICARE For Life then pays the provider directly for TRICARE-covered services.
You can get care at military hospitals and clinics, but only on a space-available basis.
What You Pay
You don't pay any enrollment fees, but you must pay Medicare Part B monthly premiums. Your Part B premium is based on your income.
For more information about Medicare Part B visit our Medicare page.
You'll pay nothing out of pocket for services covered by both Medicare and TRICARE
- for medical procedures covered by Medicare but not TRICARE (e.g. chiropractic services) you will be responsible for Medicare deductibles and cost shares
- for medical procedures covered by TRICARE but not Medicare you are responsible for any TFL deductibles and cost shares
- for medical procedures not covered by either TRICARE or Medicare (e.g. cosmetic surgery) you are responsible for the entire amount.
HOW TFL WORKS OVERSEAS
Medicare does not provide coverage outside the United States, U.S. territories (American Samoa, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands), and ships in U.S. territorial waters. Therefore, TFL is your primary payer for health care received in all other overseas locations.. TFL generally provides the same coverage as TRICARE Overseas Standard and has the same deductible and cost-shares for beneficiaries who live or travel overseas.
If you are enrolled in any TRICARE health plan you are automatically enrolled in a pharmacy program. There are 2 different pharmacy programs:
- TRICARE Pharmacy Program - The TRICARE Pharmacy Program provides the prescription drugs you need, when you need them, in a safe, easy, and cost-effective manner.
- TRICARE Maintenance Medications Program - All persons taking select maintenance medications must receive refills via TRICARE Pharmacy Home Delivery or use a military pharmacy instead of using retail pharmacies.
For more information please visit the TRICARE For Life website.
WANT TO KEEP TRACK OF YOUR BENEFITS?
Don't get left behind when it comes to staying on top of TRICARE updates, and changes to all your other military benefits. Sign up for a free Military.com membership, and benefits updates will be delivered straight to your inbox.