Related Spouse Articles

  • PCS mover with stacked boxes
    Post-PCS Survey Helps Keep Bad Movers Out|
    The movers are gone and you've asked for reimbursement for your broken stuff. That means you're done, right? Not necessarily.
  • black hawk japan 600x400
    TRICARE Overseas
    Relocating overseas can be very stressful and can be intimidating. With TRICARE, healthcare is one less thing to worry about.
  • Moving
    Military Relocation Overview
    Contact the offices listed below, who will connect you with personal property entitlements counselors who can advise and assist...
  • Packers keep track of military household goods by tagging and keeping a log of personal belongings. Peak season for household goods movement due to PCS is May 15 to July 30. (U.S. Air Force photo/Staff Sgt. Desiree N. Palacios)
    PCS Checklist: Moving Day
    On moving day for your PCS, be sure you take care of the following items on this checklist.
  • military PCS
    Home Ownership and Permanent Change of Station (PCS)|
    Today, we’re getting back to the basics and discussing the most important step anyone can take when they’re up against a housin...

Military Life 101

  • job fair
    Military Spouse Employment 101
    While the military will always throw a monkey wrench in any best-laid plans, your career doesn't have to be one of them.
  • (Photo: U.S. Department of Education)
    Military Spouse Education Help 101
    Good news for you: Being a military spouse can actually make some parts of going back to school easier.
  • (Photo: U.S. Navy)
    Military Life 101
    Military life has a lot of nuts and bolts. You know, the little things that make up just an ordinary day.
  • stack of one dollar bills
    Military Spouse and Family Benefits 101
    Don't know exactly how to get your military spouse and family benefits or want to know more about what they are? Read on.
  • Movers at Scott Air Force Base, Illinois, load up a truck with household goods. Jose Ramirez/Air Force
    Military Spouse and Family Moves 101
    Whether you're an old pro or new to the military moving game, there's stuff to learn about PCSing. Here's our easy PCS 101 guide.
  • (Photo: U.S. Marine Corps/Lance Cpl. Sullivan Laramie)
    Military Family Deployment 101
    Preparing for deployment can seem like an uphill battle. But we've been there. Here's what you need to know.
  • Military family
    Military Family Life 101
    Military life is not easy, but we've got your back. From marriage to kids and parenting, we have the resources you need.

Securing Passports and Visas Before Your Overseas PCS

An Air Force child gets her passport photo taken at Dover Air Force Base, Delaware. (U.S. Air Force photo/Airman 1st Class William Johnson)
An Air Force child gets her passport photo taken at Dover Air Force Base, Delaware. (U.S. Air Force photo/Airman 1st Class William Johnson)

Civilian personnel, including dependents, require a passport. For official travel, DoD Directive requires you and your dependents to have a no-fee passport and a Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA) stamp in these passports.

The SOFA stamp may be obtained through a U.S. military passport agent/office and should be obtained prior to arrival overseas. Non-U.S. citizen dependents must have a valid passport from the country of citizenship and a SOFA stamp.

A "no fee" passport carries an endorsement identifying the bearer as an agent of the U.S. Government proceeding abroad on official travel. If a no-fee passport is required, your Human Resources Office will provide a DD Form 1056, Authorization to Apply for a "no fee" Passport and/or Request for Visa Preparation.

The DD Form 1056 is proof that you and your dependents are authorized to apply for a no-fee passport. It is used in lieu of, or in addition to, official travel orders as authority for the Department of State to issue a no-fee passport.

Applications for passport/visas should be submitted at the local military passport and visa section. Information on "no fee" passports and visa requests is available at the Air Force Passport Matters (HQ USAF/DPLP) and United States Army Service Center for the Armed Forces (USASCAF) web site. You can only access this website from a .mil or .gov domain.

You should also acquire tourist passports for leisure travel. Visit the Department of State website for passport application procedures and forms.

To get more PCS tips or information, visit's PCS/Home Buying Guide.

Related Topics

© 2016 Military Advantage