• calculator and checkbook

    There's good news for military families who plan to have children or currently raising them. There are a number of tax benefits available to those who claim a dependent child on their income tax re...  more

  • money counter 428x285

    As a military spouse tax time can be a bit stressful to say the least -- here's answers to some of the most common questions.

  • tax forms

    This content is outdated, check our other tax pages for more information.

  • Kiss

    Military families must contend with moving and child care issues -- and both of these issues can be very expensive. However, Permanent Change of Station (PCS) and the Child Tax Credits can help eas...  more



Taxes Archive

Showing 1 - 5 of 139 articles

Beware! It’s the Season for Tax Scams

woman doing taxes

Tax season can be taxing enough without additional pressure from fraudsters, but unfortunately, these scams often peak during tax-filing season. The IRS recommends you keep an eye out for: Additional disability compensation scams. An email targeting military members that appears to come from Defense Finance and Accounting Services and displays a “.mil” email address. The email may state that if you receive disability compensation from Veteran... more

Understanding the Tax Considerations of Military Differential Pay

Army National Guard 600x400

With today's Guardsman and reservists being called upon more often to serve longer tours, the issue of military differential pay is often raised. The following FAQ's are provided by the IRS. Q: What is military differential pay? A: Some employers voluntarily agree to continue paying full wages to their employees who are called to active duty. This is commonly referred to as differential pay. Differential pay is any payment made by an employe... more

Taxing Social Security

Social Security card

The Social Security benefits you receive may be taxable. You should receive a Form SSA-1099 which will show the total amount of your benefits. The information provided on this statement along with the following seven facts from the IRS will help you determine whether or not your benefits are taxable. How much – if any – of your Social Security benefits are taxable depends on your total income and marital status. Generally, if Soc... more

Whats New for Military Tax Payers

A servicemember holding his son.

Each year brings new tax rules, this year the Internal Revenue Service has offered the following summary of the four biggest changes that may affect your tax claim. 1. Due Date Changed for  Tax Returns. File your return by April 18, 2016. The due date is April 18, instead of April 15, because of the Emancipation Day holiday in the District of Columbia. 2. Earned Income Credit Changes. Amount of credit increased. The maximum amount of the cr... more

The Tax Benefits of Owning a Home

gray home

The tax deadline is right around the corner. And, if you just bought a home, you stand to get a little cash back this year -- if you know which deductions to make. In order to get you up to speed on which deductions new homeowners qualify for, the IRS published a homeownership tax deduction guide. Here are nine deductions, summarized, you can start with: 1. Mortgage Interest: If you and your spouse file jointly, you can deduct a maxi... more

© 2016 Military Advantage