PCS Most Popular Articles

  • Eielson Air Force Base housing. Senior Airman Yash Rojas/Air Force
    Living on Base: Pros and Cons
    Military installations try to offer accommodations that ensure most families want for nothing. However, living on a military ba...
  • A servicemember carrying a box
    Your Personally Procured Move (PPM)
    The Personally Procured Move (PPM) move allows you to be reimbursed by the government for moving your belongings yourself.
  • Moving furniture
    PCS Moves and Household Goods
    The government will ship your household goods when you are transferred to a new permanent duty station.
  • Car
    Vehicle Registration for Military Families
    Military families have a long checklist of things to do when going through a PCS move. One of those tasks is vehicle registration.

Getting Ready for a Move

5 Things to Do When You Get PCS Orders

CANNON AIR FORCE BASE, N.M., -- The U.S. Air Force Cannon Air Force Base issued the news:

When permanent change of station orders arrive, Air Commandos here have a plethora of resources to make the transition from one base to another as seamlessly as possible.

The 27th Special Operations Logistics Readiness Squadron personal property and transportation management offices have some tips, information and suggestions to make the process a little easier.

When preparing to move vehicles, it is important to know that the International Auto Logistics is the new government contractor responsible for shipping all military members' personally owned automobiles. This new contract took effect May 2014 and unfortunately, the contract occurred during the busiest time of the PCS season, which had an adverse effect on vehicles arriving to port.

If you have recently PCS'd and your vehicle shipment did not arrive to its destination by the designated delivery date, you are authorized $30 with a maximum reimbursement of $210. This reimbursement must be claimed through the local comptroller office.

If the vehicle still does not arrive after the initial 7-day period, reimbursement for temporary lodging and rental car expenses must be claimed through IAL. For worse case scenarios, if the member's POV is lost or damaged, the government will offer the fair market value of the vehicle at the time of loss or $20,000, whichever is less.

Before you begin the process of packing your home, it is important to note that as of May 1, the allowances for professional books, papers, and equipment, also known as pro-gear, have changed. The new allowance is now limited to 2,000 pounds net weight. Pro-gear includes items such as reference materials, instruments and tools specific to technicians and mechanics, as well as specialized clothing such as diving suits, flying suits, and nurse uniforms.

The pro-gear allowance also extends to the member's spouse not to exceed 500 pounds. The gear must be required for employment or community support activities at the next duty station or a later destination.

On the road, keep in mind that gas and toll receipts are not eligible expenses to claim with Personal Property after a PCS, TDY move, separations or retirements. Personal Property is only authorized to file expenses for moving equipment such as dollies, moving trucks and weight ticket fees. Gas and toll receipts must be filed with the local finance office.

If you have recently retired or separated and are planning on storing your belongings with non-temp storage, entitlements last for the duration of an overseas tour and for a specified length of time when projected for separation or retirement.

The member is entitled to storage for up to six months after separating and up to one year after retiring. However, if the member receives approval to keep personal items in non-temp storage for longer than authorized, the government will only pay for the entitled six months or one year time frame.

The member is responsible for the cost of the extended storage period, ranging from $30 to $3000 a month.

For any questions regarding an upcoming PCS, or separation or retirement entitlements, please contact your Personal Property office at 575-784-4278.

Related Topics


Military News App by Military.com

Download the new Military.com News App for Android on Google Play or for Apple devices on iTunes!

Featured VA Loan Articles