Defense Personal Property System (DPS): 10 Steps
What Is DPS?
In an effort to make moving a little bit easier for you, the US Department of Defense (DoD) United States Transportation Command (USTRANSCOM) and the Military Surface Deployment and Distribution Command (SDDC) developed the Defense Personal Property Program, or DP3. As part of the DP3 mission, an Internet-based system to manage DoD household goods moves was created: the Defense Personal Property System (DPS).
How does DPS benefit me?
Through DPS and the DP3 initiative, you will receive the following benefits:
- The ability to self-counsel and submit your application online, instead of traveling to a Transportation Office (TO)
- The ability to track your shipment through DPS or Interactive Voice Response (IVR)
- The option to file a claim online, and to settle directly with your moving company, called a Transportation Service Provider or TSP
- Full Replacement Value (FRV) of lost and damaged goods, as opposed to depreciated value offered in the past
- The opportunity to make sure only quality, reputable companies handle and ship your personal belongings, and those of your fellow servicemembers and DoD civilians, by completing the Customer Satisfaction Survey (CSS)
1. Obtain a Log In from Electronic Transportation Acquisition (ETA).
2. If an "Authentication Error" notification is received, contact the System Response Center (SRC) Help Desk Toll Free Number (800) 462-2176 for assistance.
3. Ensure the Personal Computer (PC) used has Internet access.
a. Apple or Macintosh Web Browsers are currently not compatible for use with DPS.
b. Pop Up Blocker must be turned off for DPS to function properly.
4. Ensure you have a valid civilian electronic email account (yahoo, hotmail, gmail, etc.). Any email account that is not an official government or a military email account is a civilian account. If you do not have a civilian account, you should create one before you start your self counseling.
5. Review the Training Tab information in the upper right corner of the DPS Customer’s home page.
While using the Self Counseling module:
6. If you receive the "DPS Core Error" or "Unable to Process Last Request" error message while in the Self Counseling module, do the following:
• Clear Internet cache
• Log out of DPS
• Log completely out of ETA
• Log Back into ETA and DPS
If the problem persists call the SRC Toll-Free (800) 462-2176 (option 5) for further assistance.
7. If you receive a "Timed Out" message:
a. Click on any other Tab at the top of the screen
b. After the other Tab loads Click back on the Self Counseling Tab. If the Self Counseling Tab doesn’t come up log out of DPS and then log completely out of ETA.
c. Call the SRC for further assistance.
After Self Counseling is completed:
8. You should receive an email identifying the moving company (Transportation Service Provider or TSP) that will be responsible for your move. The email should contain contact information for that company. If you do not receive that information within two weeks of your requested pack out dates, contact your local transportation office for assistance.
9. To file a Loss and Damage Report Click on "Step 1 File a Loss/Damage Report" on http://www.move.mil/dod.htm#beforeBegin_dpsHowToGuides
10. To file a Claim: Click on "Step 2 File a Claim" on http://www.move.mil/dod.htm#beforeBegin_dpsHowToGuides
Before beginning the Self Counseling process:
Sound Off...What do you think? Join the discussion...