Transition Assistance Program Overview
The Transition Assistance Program (TAP) provides information, tools, and training to ensure Service members and their spouses are prepared for the next step in civilian life whether pursuing additional education, finding a job in the public or private sector, or starting their own business. This redesigned TAP is the result of an interagency collaboration to offer separating Service members and their spouses better, more easily accessible resources and information to make their transitions more successful.
Where to Start
The transition process begins with the completion of the DD Form 2648, "Pre-Separation Counseling Checklist." This is a mandatory legal requirement and a copy of your DD Form 2648 is required to be filed in your personnel file.
All separating and retiring servicemembers should make an appointment to see their local Transition Counselor for information on transition services and benefits. Military spouses are welcome to attend transition classes on a space-avaialble basis.
Transition Counselors are located in the following offices at local military installations:
- Army: The 'Soldier For Life - Transition Assistance Program' centers can be found at many military installations, whether CONUS or OCONUS. For more information, call 800-325-4715 or view this complete list: https://www.acap.army.mil/pages/sfl-tap_centers/sfl-tap-centers-all.aspx.
- Air Force: Contact the local Airman & Family Readiness Center to first schedule your preseparation counseling and receive detailed information on other available transition services: www.afpc.af.mil/Airman-and-Family-Readiness/.
- Navy: Contact the local Fleet and Family Support Center to find out more about the Navy's transition program Transition Goals, Plans, Success (Transition GPS): cnic.navy.mil/ffr/family_readiness/fleet_and_family_support_program.htmlhttps://cnic.navy.mil/ffr/family_readiness/fleet_and_family_support_program.html.
- Marines: Transition Readiness services and resources are provided in the Marine and Family Division at all USMC installations. For more information, call 703-784-9550.
- Coast Guard: Transition/Relocation Managers can assist active duty members in scheduling a Transition Assistance Seminar. For more information please visit our website: www.dcms.uscg.mil/Our-Organization/Assistant-Commandant-for-Human-Resources-CG-1/Health-Safety-and-Work-Life-CG-11/Office-of-Work-Life-CG-111/Transition-Assistance-Program/