1. I will make dates to see my friends and family and do something that doesn\'t involve eating and drinking. I will walk through the park, ice skate, cross country ski, walk the mall, take a yoga or cardio class, or run on a treadmill right next to my friend.
2. I will think of food as a fuel, not as a gift, which means passing on food that is high in fat and sugar, and taking HALF the portion everyone else heaps onto their plate.
3. If I have to be at a restaurant, I will identify the 3 healthiest things on the menu and pick between those.
4. I will follow the food pyramid daily, and I will take a daily multi-vitamin.
5. I will not eat any bad food that is lying around the office. I will bring healthy snacks to my desk that are sweet and/or salty, like whole wheat crackers, almonds, grapes, or chocolate soy milk.
6. I will drink no more than 2 alcoholic beverages at parties and events (if necessary, cut extra drinks with spritzers) and I will have a snack before these events so I don\'t attack the buffet line.
7. I will drive less and walk more. I will take the stairs when possible and never go a day without some exercise.
8. I will invest in a gym membership, if I don't have one already, and I will use it. If I don\'t have the money right now, I will buy an inexpensive workout DVD.
9. I will weigh myself everyday so that I remember my goals and can feel good about the choices I made yesterday.
10. I will reward myself when I stick to these resolutions with something free or inexpensive that makes me happy and inspires me to look and feel good. I will get a new fitness video, a manicure, a new skirt, or take the afternoon off to go on that hike with the kids...
Also, remember what is done is done; don't beat yourself up for what you did yesterday if you slipped. Always look ahead. Live a healthy and active lifestyle day by day.
Nikki Fitness is a personal trainer, group exercise instructor, writer and publicist living in New York City. She started as a cheerleader at Syracuse University, but became certified in fitness before her beach wedding so that she could get back in shape. Laura, a graduate student, working mom, and military wife, inspired Nikki's Military Wife Workout (MWW) for all military wives. Find more articles by Nikki at her article archive. Learn more at www.nikkifitness.com.
|Spouse and Family Fitness General Fitness Fitness Motivation Health Nikki Fitness|