entertainment
shop
finance
careers
education
join military
community

Search for Military News:  
Forum Forum Home | Headlines | Early Brief | Opinions | Discussions | SoldierTech | Benefit Updates | Defense Tech
Soldiers' First-Hand Accounts of D-Day
Military.com | June 05, 2007

On June 6, 1944, Allied Forces invaded Normandy and turned the tide of World War II in Europe. More than 100,000 soldiers swept ashore and nearly 10,000 died that first day. By June 22, the Allies had broken out of Normandy heading for Berlin.

These stories are the first-hand accounts of the men and women who participated in this "mighty endeavor."

Robert Louis Curl
"We began leading the first wave into the beach as the bombardment began. The large projectiles flying overhead looked like footballs. We recovered the bodies of numerous soldiers who had drowned because..."  More...

Rex Smith Lt. Col, US Army
"About half way there our boat began to leak and we were soon standing in two feet of water. We transferred to another boat and continued our run to the beach. Arriving at the beach, we immediately set out to..."  More...

Capt. (Ret.) Vincent E. Baker
"Bullets were flying, tanks were burning and men were bunched up behind the seawall. I took shelter in a shell crater, trying to get my bearings. I had no idea where I was or where the rest of the 58th was. But I knew..."  More...

More D-Day Coverage:

Sound Off...What do you think? Join the discussion.

Copyright 2013 Military.com. All opinions expressed in this article are the author's and do not necessarily reflect those of Military.com.