State Veteran Benefits Northeast

State Educational Benefits

Click on the State below for information about Veteran Related Education Benefits in that State.

New Hampshire
New Jersey
Rhode Island



Veteran may attend Connecticut Public Colleges and Universities Tuition Free. Connecticut statutes provide that tuition may be waived for qualified veterans attending the University of Connecticut, Connecticut State Universities and the 12 Community Technical Colleges. Waivers cover only the cost of tuition for credit-bearing undergraduate and graduate programs. Other charges, such as for books, student activity and course fees, parking and room and board are not waived. To qualify for a waiver at the University of Connecticut and Connecticut State Universities, Veterans generally must be matriculated students- that is admitted to a degree granting program. The Community Technical Colleges are more flexible. Remember to bring along a copy of your separation papers when applying for admission or registering for courses.

BENEFIT: Tuition waivers for veterans cover 100% of tuition for General Fund course at all public colleges and universities and 50% for Extension Fund and summer courses at Connecticut State Universities.

ELIGIBILITY: To be eligible at any college or university, veterans must be honorably discharged from the U.S. Armed Forces and Connecticut residents at least for one year upon enrolling in college.

Periods of Service

Only those who served in the following manner may qualify:

  • Active duty for at least ninety (90) days:
  • World War II -- December 7, 1941 to December 31,1946
  • Korean Hostilities -- June 27,1950 to January 31,1995
  • Vietnam -- December 22,1961 to July 1,1975
  • Operation Desert Shield and Desert Storm -- August 2, 1990 to June 30, 1994
  • Engaged in combat or in combat support role in the:
  • Peace Keeping Mission in Lebanon -- September 29,1982 to March 30, 1984
  • Grenada Invasion -- October 25, 1983 to December 15,1983
  • Operation Earnest Will -- February 1,1987 to July 23,1987
  • Panama Invasion -- December 20, 1989 to January 31,1990

Click the link to get more information on the Veteran Benefits offered by Connecticut.


Education Benefits for Children of Deceased Veterans


  1. Children of deceased military veterans or State Police officers whose cause of death was service related, or children of prisoners of war or those declared missing in action. Must be between age 16-25 at time of application. Can be used for undergraduate or graduate study.
  2. Education Benefits for Active Members of the Delaware National Guard - Any active member of a federally recognized unit of the Delaware National Guard, who meets the requirements for satisfactory membership as defined by the Adjutant General of the Delaware National Guard, shall be eligible for funding support by the Delaware National Guard for certain post-secondary education tuition and fees. (Title 14, Chapter 34, Sections 3411-3412)

BENEFITS: Full tuition and fees for four years at Delaware public institutions or reduced amount at other colleges under certain conditions.

APPLICATION: Delaware Higher Education Commission, 820 North French Street, Wilmington, DE 19801; telephone 302-577-3240 fax 302-577-6765

Click the link to get more information on the Veteran Benefits offered by this state.


Education Benefits for Dependents of Deceased / Disabled Veterans

ELIGIBILITY: Children and/or spouse of veterans who died in service or as a result of service; are 100% (service-connected) permanently and totally disabled from service; or died while so disabled. Must be high school graduate, not over age 21 for children. There is no age limit for spouse. If veteran is not ME resident at entry to service, veteran must resided in ME for five years immediately preceding application.

BENEFITS: Awards entitle eligible students to tuition waiver in any ME supported institution. A summer course counts as one full semester. Recipients have up to six consecutive academic years to complete up to eight semesters except if interrupted by illness or disability.

APPLICATION: Maine Veterans Services, 117 State House Station, Camp Keyes Building 7, Room G8, Augusta, ME 04333; telephone 207-626-4464 or 800-345-0116

Click the link to get more information on the Veteran Benefits offered by Maine.


Massachusetts Army National Guard Educational Assistance Program

The Massachusetts Army National Guard Educational Assistance Program, commonly referred to as the 100%Tuition Waiver Program, waives the cost of tuition and fees for Mass. Army National Guard soldiers attending a Mass.State college, university, or community college program that IS FUNDED through the Mass. Board of Higher Education. Generally, these programs are offered during the day as part of a degree program. Continuing Education programs, traditionally offered in the evening hours, including intercession courses, offered between the Fall and Spring semesters, and Summer courses, are NOT normally covered by the Tuition Waiver program, unless the college waives the policy -- Be sure to ask.

Eligibility: The 100% tuition and fee reduction cannot exceed 130 semester hours or related quarter hours. The entitlement may be applied towards an associate, bachelor, masters, or doctoral program in addition to individual fulfillment courses, provided the courses/programs are FUNDED BY THE STATE.

Any actively participating soldier of the Massachusetts Army National Guard, in good standing, is entitled to a100% reduction of tuition in any State-funded college program. The provisions of the law apply equally to full-time and part-time students enrolled in State-funded college programs. However, certain 4-year State colleges do not, normally, admit part-time day students.

When a Certificate of Eligibility (TAGMA Form 621-3) is issued to a soldier, he or she must maintain both military and educational eligibility in order to receive benefits under the statute. A TAGMA Form 621-3 will not be issued for the normal 30 semester hour amount to soldiers scheduled to ETS (Expiration of Term of Service) during the academic year.

The Montgomery GI Bill can be utilized in conjunction with this State program. The academic standards of the learning institution must be maintain by the soldier during the entire benefit period.

State colleges, universities and community colleges may opt to enforce a resident requirement for soldiers whose Home of Record is in another state.

Click the link to get more information on the Veteran Benefits offered by Massachusetts.

New Hampshire

Education Benefits for Dependent Children of Veterans

ELIGIBILITY: The child of a missing person who was domiciled in this State serving in or with the U.S. armed forces after February 28, 1961.

BENEFIT: Free tuition at vocational-technical college so long as said missing person is so reported/listed as missing, captured, etc.

ELIGIBILITY: Children of certain deceased veterans who died from service-connected disability shall be entitled to free tuition in state college-grade institutions. Board, room, rent, books and supplies up to $1000 per year for a period of not more than 4 years at such educational institutions may be furnished to these children if they are in need of financial assistance.

BENEFITS: Free tuition at state postsecondary or college graduate schools; up to $1,000 maximum per year for room, board, books and supplies.

APPLICATION: Arthur Feldman, State of New Hampshire, Post Secondary Education Commission, Veterans Educational Services, Two Industrial Park Drive, Concord, NH 03301-08512 telephone 603-271-2257

Click the link to get more information on the Veteran Benefits offered by New Hampshire.

New Jersey


Veterans attending any approved educational institution may apply for the Veterans Tuition Credit Program. Under the program, partial reimbursement is provided to the institution to offset the cost of the veteran's tuition. Maximum reimbursement is $400 per year for full-time students, $200 for part-time students. To qualify, the veteran must have been on active duty between Dec.31,1960, and May 7, 1975, and have been a legal resident of N. J . at the time of entrance into or discharge from the service, or two years immediately prior to application.


Free undergraduate college tuition is available to any child born or adopted before or during the period of time his or her parent was officially declared a prisoner of war (POW) or person missing in action (MIA) after Jan.1,1960. The POW-MIA must have been a New Jersey resident at the time he or she entered the service or whose official residence is in N J. The child must attend either a public or private institution in N.J. A copy of DD 1300 must be furnished with the application.


Children of those service personnel who died while in the military or due to service connected disabilities, or who are officially listed as missing in action by the U.S. Dept. of Defense may claim $500 per year for four years of college or equivalent training. To qualify, the child must be a resident of New Jersey for at least one year immediately preceding the filing of the application and be between the ages of 16 and 21 at the time of application. The veteran must have been a state resident.

Click the link to get more information on the Veteran Benefits offered by New Jersey.

Rhode Island

Currently Rhode Island State has no education specific Veteran programs.

Click the link to get more information on the Veteran Benefits offered by Rhode Island.


Currently Vermont State has no education specific Veteran programs.

Click the link to get more information on the Veteran Benefits offered by Vermont.

Sound Off...What do you think? Join the discussion...

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at
© 2015 Military Advantage