TRICARE Authorized Care
TRICARE is limited by law to authorize the following types of health care to dependents:
- Outpatient care.
- Treatment of medical and surgical conditions.
- Treatment of nervous, mental, and chronic conditions.
- Treatment of contagious diseases.
- Physical examinations, including eye examinations, and immunizations.
- Maternity and infant care, including well-baby care that includes one screening of an infant for the level of lead in the blood of the infant.
- Diagnostic tests and services, including laboratory and X-ray examinations.
- Dental care.
- Ambulance service and home calls when medically necessary.
- Durable equipment, which may be provided on a loan basis.
- Primary and preventive health care services for.
- Preventive health care screening for colon or prostate cancer.
- Prosthetic devices, as determined to be necessary.
- A hearing aid, but only for a dependent of a member of the uniformed services on active duty and only if the dependent has a profound hearing loss.
- Any rehabilitative therapy when prescribed by a physician.
Items that may be provided to a patient include the following:
- Any durable medical equipment to aid a body part, or to prevent the deterioration of the patient's function or condition.
- Any durable medical equipment that can maximize the patient's function consistent with the patient's physiological or medical needs.
- Iron lungs.
- Hospital beds.
- Other equipment customizations, accessories, or items for:
- achieving therapeutic benefit for the patient;
- making the equipment serviceable; or
- otherwise assuring the proper functioning of the equipment.