Sign up for the Benefits Newsletter

Related Benefits Articles

Most Popular TRICARE Benefits Articles

  • Tricare
    TRICARE Benefits Overview
    Do you understand your TRICARE benefits? Find the TRICARE coverage plan that best suits your family's needs.
  • Military families don’t need extraordinary acts of thanks -- just a helping hand. U.S. Army MWR photo
    Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS)
    DEERS is a computerized database of military sponsors, families and others worldwide who are entitled to TRICARE benefits.
  • Doctor with an elderly patient.
    TRICARE for Life
    If you have Medicare part A & B, TRICARE for life can pay your Medicare copay.
  • Doctor examines servicemember
    The TRICARE Prime Program
    TRICARE Prime is a managed service healthcare program for servicemembers, reservists, dependents, and some retirees.
  • Retiree Health Fair 600x400
    TRICARE for Retirees
    TRICARE For Life (TFL) is a Medicare wraparound coverage for TRICARE beneficiaries who have Medicare Parts A and B.

TRICARE Standard: Other Health Insurance

Auto insurance

Are you covered by other health insurance -- maybe through your spouse, a job, or under medical coverage for accidental injuries under your automobile insurance policy? If so, you or your provider must file a claim for your health care with the insurance plan before filing with TRICARE Standard.

After your other insurance has decided what it's going to pay, a claim may be filed with TRICARE Standard. A copy of the other health plan's payment determination, and a copy of the bill, must be sent along with your TRICARE Standard claim.

Some providers, even if they agree to participate in TRICARE Standard, may ask you to file with the other insurance first. Discuss this with them when you arrange to pay your part of the bills. If you have TRICARE Standard supplemental insurance -- a policy that's specifically designated to be a supplement to TRICARE Standard health benefits, and is sold by many military associations and some private firms -- you don't file with them first. Go ahead and have the claim sent to the TRICARE contractor. Make sure that the name of your insurance and other information about the policy is indicated on the claim form.

If you don't tell the TRICARE contractor about your OHI, the claim your provider sends in could be delayed in processing or even denied.

For general information about TRICARE, call the toll-free TRICARE information line for your region found at the TRICARE Contact Us web page.

Related Topics

TRICARE Insurance

Military News App by

Download the new News App for Android on Google Play or for Apple devices on iTunes!

Featured VA Loan Articles