Related Benefits Articles

  • dollar bill close up
    Military Retirement Paychecks
    All military retirees are required to have their retirement paychecks sent by Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) to a financial i...
  • Taxes
    myPay 2015 Tax Documents Schedule
    Defense Finance and Accounting Service
    DFAS customers with myPay access ( will be able to obtain their tax statements online on the ...
  • pay day calendar 250x177
    Military Pay Dates
    Now available: The Military Pay App. has launched a new app that allows you instantaneous access to information ab...
  • Retiree Pay Garnishment
    Retired pay may be garnished for enforcement of a retired servicemember's legal obligations to provide child support or make al...
  • Retired Pay Allotments
    Retired servicemembers are permitted to continue allotments that they had in effect while on active duty except for Combined Fe...

Most Popular Military Pay Articles

  • Military Pay Charts
    2016 Military Pay Charts
    President Obama signed the 2016 National Defense Authorization Act which includes a 1.3 percent increase in military pay for 20...
  • Marine retirement
    The Military Retirement System
    If you are considering making the military a career — or you have already made that decision, and just want to know more about ...
  • USCG house in Alameda
    Basic Allowance for Housing Rates
    The Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) is based on geographic duty location, pay grade, and dependency status. The intent of BAH...
  • gi holds cash 600x400
    2016 Cost-of-Living Allowance (COLA)
    The Cost of Living Allowance or COLA helps offset the effects of higher living expenses that servicemembers stationed in expens...
  • Army Reserve logo
    Military Reserve Retirement
    National Guard and Reserve servicemembers who complete a minimum of 20 "qualifying" years of service (creditable retirement yea...
Military Pay Charts

Retiree Payment Procedures

military retirement spouse 90

Retired servicemembers, except those recalled to active duty and entitled to active duty pay and allowances, and those who elect to waive all their pay in favor of VA compensation or civil service annuity, will have their retired pay electronically transferred to their financial institution on the first business day of each month. The following is a summary of what you need to know about retired pay:

The Retiree Account Statement

Retired Pay Operations will mail a Retiree Account Statement (RAS) when an account is established. Revised RASs are sent only when a change occurs in retired pay.

To make changes in retired pay, Retired Pay Operations should be advised before the 10th day of the month preceding the month of payment. Changes received after the 10th may not be made until the following month. All change requests must contain the retirees signature and Social Security number, unless you choose to manage your retirement pay through the myPay system online.

The myPay System

myPay offers faster enhanced services, security, accessibility and reliability to all customers of DFAS worldwide. MyPay is only for retirees and annuitants that receive their pay through DFAS, in other words myPay is not available to Coast Guard, NOAA, and USPHS retirees.

With myPay, you can:

  • View, print, and save annuitant account statement
  • View, print, and save tax statements
  • Change federal and state tax withholdings
  • Update bank account and electronic fund transfer information
  • Manage allotments
  • Make address changes
  • Manage U.S. Savings Bonds
  • Control Thrift Savings Plan enrollment
  • View, print, and save retiree account statement
  • Provide report of existence
  • Update certificate of eligibility
  • Turn off hard-copy W-2 tax statements

Visit the myPay website to learn more.

Retired servicemembers who waive all retired pay in favor of VA compensation will be paid by VA. Retired servicemembers who waive a part of their retired pay to receive an equal amount of VA compensation will receive monthly payments from both VA and Retired Pay Operations.

Back to Top

Method of Payment

Servicemembers who retired on or after October 1, 1990 must have retired pay sent by EFT to a financial institution. If retired pay will continue to the same financial institution as the active duty pay, a new form is not necessary. However, the routing number and the account number of the financial institution must be provided to DFAS-CL. To initiate a direct deposit of retired pay by EFT, contact your financial institution for an SF 1199A, Direct Deposit Sign-Up Form. This form must be completed by the financial institution and submitted by the retiring servicemember to the military finance activity during out-processing.

Checks of retired servicemembers residing in certain overseas areas are mailed directly to the individual. For those who do not use direct deposit, if it becomes apparent that a check has been lost, stolen, or destroyed, or if it has not been received within 10 days after the normal delivery date, the retiree should request for stop payment of the missing check to DFAS-CL, Cleveland Center, P.O. Box 998005, Cleveland, OH 44199-1126. A delay in the issuance of a substitute check should be anticipated.

Retired Pay Mailing Address

The simplest and quickest solution for changing your mailing address is through myPay. For any questions or concerns regarding myPay, call 888-332-7411 (option 5) for a customer service representative.

Those unable to use myPay can send their change of address requests to DFAS, U.S. Military Retired Pay, P.O. Box 7130, London, KY 40742-7130.

A request for a change in address or a change in the name of the payee should be received in Retired Pay Operations on or before the 10th day of the month.

A request for a change of home address must be made even if the retired servicemember waived retired pay in favor of VA compensation or a civil service annuity, or if pay is deposited in a bank or financial institution. A separate home address file is maintained by Retired Pay Operations for correspondence purposes.

Contact DFAS Retiree Services at:
Retired Pay: 800-469-6559
Annuitant/Survivor Pay: 800-982-8459
Claims for non-receipt of payment: 216-522-5898

DFAS Customer Service Representatives are available Monday through Friday, from 8:00a.m. to 5:00p.m. Eastern Time. However, Monday is their busiest day, so they recommend calling Tuesday through Friday for shorter wait times.

Direct Deposit Abroad

U.S. military retirees living outside the States can now enroll to have their monthly payments directly deposited in their bank accounts. Those living in Australia, Canada, France, Germany and the United Kingdom have had the International Direct Deposit option since December, and 38 additional countries are slated to come into the program this year. Enrollment packages for the program will be sent to retirees and annuitants when the program goes into effect in their given country of residence. For more information on the direct deposit program, visit the International Direct Deposit webpage on the DFAS website or call 216-522-5955.

Back to Top

© 2016 Military Advantage