Sign up for the Benefits Newsletter

Related Benefits Articles

  • The U.S. Supreme Court
    U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims
    If you disagree with a decision of the Board of Veterans' Appeals you may appeal to the U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans' Claims
  • Dictionary books on the white background (3d render)
    The Appeals Process Glossary
    This glossary should help you understand the technical terms used in the VA appeal process.
  • Veterans Affairs VA Seal
    The Appeals Process Overview
    Was your recent VA disability compensation award not enough? Have you been denied VA education, pensions, or health care benefits?
  • Legal Advice. Notepad with message, coffee cup and red pencil. Office supplies on desk table top view.
    The Appeals Process: Step 5
    If you wish you can request a personal hearing, a meeting between you and a the official who will decide your case.
  • Legal, legally, law.
    The Appeals Process: Step 6
    The Board will notify you when it gets your appeal from the local VA office. When your turn arrives, your file will be examined

Most Popular Benefits Articles

  • Department of Veterans Affairs
    2017 VA Disability Compensation Rates
    The following tables show the current VA compensation rates for veterans with a disability rating 10 percent or higher.
  • Airman helping service member with paperwork
    Proposed Military Pay Charts for 2018
    Despite that fact that the White House and Senate are looking at a potential 2.1% pay raise for 2018, the House Armed Services ...
  • Military Pay Charts
    2017 Military Pay Charts
    Check out the 2017 US military pay scale charts for all ranks for active duty, as well as Reserve and Guard components.
  • The VA medical center in Washington, D.C., is under investigation after a veteran was found dead in his vehicle parked at the facility in May 2017. Washington DC VA Medical Center/Facebook
    Veteran Disability Compensation
    Veterans with a service-related disability may qualify for over $3,300 in monthly benefits.
  • us map with state abbreviations
    State Veteran's Benefits
    Every state and territory offers benefits for veterans and their families. See our details, updated for 2016!

The Appeals Process: Step 7

Veterans Affairs VA Seal

If you disagree with the Board's final ruling, you can appeal to the U.S. Court of Veterans Appeals for Veterans Claims. Normally, you must file a Notice of Appeal with the Court within 120 days from the date the Board's decision is mailed to you.

To get more information about the Notice of Appeal, methods for filing with the Court, Court filing fees and other related matters, you can call the Court at 800-869-8654 or write to the address below:

United States Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims
625 Indiana Ave, NW, Suite 900
Washington, DC 20004
Telephone: (202) 501-5970

If you appeal to the Court, you should also file a copy of the Notice of Appeal with the VA General Counsel at the following address:

Office of the General Counsel (027)
Department of Veterans Affairs
810 Vermont Ave., NW
Washington, DC 20420

There are other ways to challenge the Board's decision:

  • Motion for Reconsideration - If you can prove that the Board made an obvious error of fact or law in its decision, you can file a written motion for reconsideration. If you have a representative, you should consult with him/her about whether you should file a motion.
  • Reopening the Case - If you have new evidence, you can request that your case be re-opened. To be considered, the evidence you submit must include information related to your case that was not included in your claims folder when the Board decided your case. To re-open your case, you need to submit your evidence directly to your local VA office.
  • CUE Motion - A Board decision can be reversed or revised if you can prove that the decision contained "clear and unmistakeable error" (CUE). Because CUE is a very complicated area of law, you should ask your representative for advice before you decide to file a CUE motion. You can file a CUE motion at any time, but if you file it after filing a Notice of Appeal with the U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims, the Board cannot rule on your CUE motion. CUE motions should be filed directly with the Board, and not your local VA office.

Related Topics

VA Claims and Appeals

Military News App by

Download the new News App for Android on Google Play or for Apple devices on iTunes!

Featured VA Loan Articles