Navy ROTC Summer Training
A significant portion of midshipmen's professional training during their four-year curriculum is received during summer training.
Navy summer training includes Career Orientation and Training for Midshipmen (CORTRAMID) for midshipmen third class and Atlantic/Pacific Training of Midshipmen (LANTRAMID/PACTRAMID) for midshipmen second and first class.
Midshipmen must ultimately make decisions as to which warfare area they will request to be commissioned into; CORTRAMID and the various summer training programs are designed to instill awareness of these areas and provide midshipmen with the background necessary to make informed decisions regarding their career choice.
Possible Summer Training Assignments:
- Nuclear Power: Midshipmen can be assigned to nuclear submarine or nuclear surface vessels.
- Bulldog: First class Marine Option midshipmen are assigned to Marine units for summer training.
- CORTRAMID: NROTC second and third class scholarship midshipmen assigned to this training. Training consists of surface, submarine, aviation, and Marine Corps Orientation.
- Afloat Aviation Option: Selected midshipmen train aboard a carrier; training includes flight time on navy aircraft if feasible.
- Ashore Aviation Option: Selected midshipmen train w/ a Navy aviation squadron, including flight time if feasible.
- Foreign Exchange Training of Midshipmen (FOREXTRAMID) and Japanese Maritime Self-defense Force (JMSDF) Exchanges: Selected midshipmen train with Navies of other countries
- NROTC scholarship/college program midshipmen authorized advance cruise pay.
- Navy provides 80% advance payment to all midshipmen prior to commencement of their proposed training.
- Pre-cruise Brief: NROTC units conduct an extensive pre-cruise brief to prepare midshipmen for summer training.
Navy ROTC Related Topics
- Applying For NROTC
- NROTC Eligibility
- Academic Requirements
- Military Service Obligations
- NROTC Scholarships
- NROTC Nurse Program
- NROTC Summer Training
- Navy Officer Career Paths