pixel
pixel
pixel
Home
Benefits
News
entertainment
shop
finance
careers
education
join military
community

pixel





 
Histories for 87th engineer battalion/vietnam/1966-1968




18th Engineer Brigade
The 18th Engineer Brigade was formed July 29, 1921, as the 347th Engineers (General Service) in the Organized Reserves. It was ordered into active military service May 6, 1942, at Camp Claiborne, La., and redesignated the 347th Engineer General Service Regiment. For its service in Normandy, Northern France, the Rhineland and Central Europe during World War II, the unit received the Meritorious Unit Commendation. After the war, it was deactivated in Germany. Redesignated the 18th Engineer Brigade, it was reactivated at Ft. Leonard Wood, Mo., on Oct. 25, 1954. On March 26, 1963, it was again deactivated, but on July 16, 1965, was activated at Ft. Bragg, N.C., and prepared for deployment to Vietnam. An advance party of the brigade arrived in Vietnam on Sept. 3, 1965, and became operational two weeks later. Units of the 18th Engineer Brigade have constructed everything from depots to seaports, airfields to orphanages throughout central and northern Vietnam.

Posted by Dave Johnson
Jan 21 2011 03:09:02:000PM




Back to Unit Page


Other Links: