The USS Earle B Hall APD-107
The Earle B Hall (DE-597) was launched 1 March 1944 by Bethlehem-Hingham Shipyard, Inc., Hingham, Mass. Reclassified APD-107 on 17 July 1944 and commissioned 15 May 1945. She reached San Diego on 17 August 1945 and sailed to Pearl Harbor, reaching Hawai'i on 12 September 1945. She arrived at Okinawa on 28 September 1945. She then sailed to Wakanoura Bay, below Osaka, arriving on 14 December 1945. On 25 February 1946 she put to sea and called on Eniwetok, Pearl Harbor, and San Francisco on her way to Boston where she arrived on 9 April 1946. She was placed out of service in reserve at Mayport, Florida on 27 September 1946. Recommissioned 7 December 1950 she sailed from Jacksonville, Florida to her new home port in Norfolk, Virginia. On 29 May 1951 she departed for a 3-month northern cruise supplying such outposts as Grondal, Greenland. After returning to Norfolk, she trained marines in amphibious warfare off Onslow Beach, NC and the Caribbean basin. On 22 April 1953 she sailed for a Mediterranean tour with the 6th fleet, returning 26 October 1953. Local operations off the Virginia Capes alternated with two cruises to Key West, Florida and Havana, Cuba and Marine amphibious excercises in the Caribbean until 17 June 1955 when she sailed to the Azores, Lisbon, and Cadiz on a midshipman's cruise, returning to Norfolk on 15 July 1955. The remainder of her service was spent on the east coast and training in the Caribbean. She was placed out of commission in reserve again on 13 September 1957. But the old gray lady wasn't finished yet! In 1961 she was called again for duty and was recommissioned and homeported at the Naval Amphibious Base, Little Creek, Virginia. On 13 April 1962 and 14 April 1962 she was observed by President John F Kennedy during a two day visit to Norfolk. Following the Presidential visit she sailed to Vieques, Puerto Rico, to take part in a three-week joint Navy-Marine Corps maneuver involving some 83 Atlantic Fleet ships that was climaxed with an assault on Vieques. The came the Cuban Missile crisis. A period of tension as President Kennedy ordered the quarantine of Cuba. The period of service provided by the Earle B Hall was from 10 October 1962 until being released on 7 December 1962. During the fall of 1964 a major engineering fault occurred. At 2AM and steaming on #1 boiler the Hall lost all power. The bridge was notified that the cause of the power loss was that the bottom of the operating boiler collapsed and steam was coming out of the boiler. That, as it turned out, was the final blow to the distinguished service of the Earle B Hall. The USS Kirwin APD - 90 was towed to Little Creek, placed at pier 17 along side the Hall and underwent fleet activation. The Earle B Hall was decommissioned as the USS Kirwin APD 90 was commissioned on 15 January 1965 at Little Creek's pier 17 at 10 AM. The proud USS Earle B Hall APD 107 was stricken 1 February 1965 and sold 28 January 1966 and broken up. Even today those who have served on her remember the sights, sounds and yes, the smells, of those days.
Feb 22 2003 10:41:57:000PM