pixel
pixel
pixel
Home
Benefits
News
entertainment
shop
finance
careers
education
join military
community

pixel





 
Histories for Wharton Barracks Heilbronn, Germany




Wharton Barracks History (updated)
1. Schlieffen Kaserne, Schlieffenstrasse 8-14, Heilbronn (today: John-F.-Kennedy-Strasse). Built in 1935 for the German Army (Wehrmacht). Was used to home displaced persons from 1945 to 1951. Renamed to Hessenhof in 1948. American troops began occupation in 1952 and merged it with Priesterwald Kaserne to form the US Army installation known as Wharton Barracks. American troops withdrew in 1992 and soon after most of the buildings were torn down (3 blocks on Stuttgarter Strasse remain). Re-branded in 1999 as the newly developed "Businesspark Schwabenhof". 2. Priesterwald Kaserne, Tiroler Strasse 185, Heilbronn (today: Charlottenstrasse). Built in 1936 for the German Army (Wehrmacht). Named Priesterwald Kaserne in 1938. Was used to home displaced persons from 1945 to 1951. Renamed to Schwabenhof in 1948. American troops began occupation in 1952 and merged it with Schlieffen Kaserne to form the US Army installation known as Wharton Barracks. The American troops withdrew in 1992, then the buildings were used for asylum seekers, and then the buildings were torn down. Re-branded in 1999 as the newly developed "Businesspark Schwabenhof". The Herbert-Hoover and Kennedy Housing areas were built in the 1950s in addition to Wharton Barracks for living quarters for the troops and their families. The buildings are still used today as apartments. The cross monument on Wharton Barracks commemorates Polish people that died during World War II. The monument was erected in 1945/46 and was classified in 1998 as a cultural monument. It was moved to another location due to the opening of the Schwabenhof Businesspark in 1999, where it received a new foundation in a nice setting. Source: Heilbronn city archives, Larry Tomsyck (HHC 237th Engineer Battalion, Wharton Barracks, 1983 ? 1988). Photos of Wharton Barracks, Heilbronn, and the cross monument can be seen on my HHC 237th Engineer Battalion web pages here on military.com.

Posted by Larry Tomsyck
Apr 12 2007 02:31:47:000PM




Back to Unit Page


Other Links:





© 2014 Military Advantage
A Monster Company.